Notion Ink hinted at it, we thought it, and now Google has come through with the goods, today (well rather, this morning at 2AM) announcing the release of Android 2.3 “Gingerbread” on the Samsung/Google Nexus S (Next Success, see what I did there?). The device is set to hit US stores from December the 16th with a price of $US529 and UK stores from the 20th. There’s currently no word on it coming to Australia, but if it does we’re sure Vodafone will be there to snatch it up.
As for the details of Gingerbread, it’s going to bring the following features to the table.
- Better gaming (faster Dalvik VM)
- New forms of communication (Near-field Communications, Video Calling, Internet Calling)
- Richer Multimedia experience
- Better IME
- Improved power management
- UI refinements for a better overall user experience
I hope you guys are excited about Gingerbread as I am! I’ll be among the thousands putting a custom build on my HTC Desire when it becomes available, and Chris will be reviewing the Nexus S as soon as we get our hands on one.