Here’s so good news for current and future HTC Sensation and possibly HTC EVO 3D owners, your device(s) have been “temp-rooted“. Yes, this is a general viewing site; no, that wasn’t innuendo. “temp-root” is just the term for when a user can gain root access of the device whilst it is running, but when you restart it, root access is lost. It’s usually quite annoying, but it’s nice to know it’s possible on both these currently locked devices. The dev team behind the temp-root are also working on a way to enable S-OFF so both the Sensation and EVO 3D can be permanently rooted and have custom ROMs flashed. Exciting times ahead HTC Dual-Core owners. Hit the break for the details on how to attempt temp-rooting of your device.
- Be accustomed to using ADB
- Know how to play around with the Linux shell
- We take no responsibility for you ruining your phone
- Download fre3vo.zip
- Unzip the .zip
- Push the file: adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
- Change the file permissions: adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
- Run the file: adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
If everything worked out and you didn’t fry your device, you should now be greeted with # instead of % in ADB shell. Enjoy.