After releasing a Star Wars app in July that was US only, Disney said they planned to update the app in the future. Well friends, the future is now. Thanks to one keen-eyed reader this morning, we can now confirm that the Star Wars app is now officially available in Australia. Furthermore, the full range of content is also accessible – for those of you who tried sideloading and were meet with an empty app.
According to the Play Store listing the Star Wars app is “your official mobile connection to a galaxy far, far away”. The app offers:
- Get instant notifications on big announcements, including trailer releases and movie news
- Theme your app with Light Side, Dark Side, or Droid interfaces, each containing different designs, sounds, and animations
- Unlock 3D characters from Star Wars: The Force Awakens using a special Augmented Reality camera feature
- Take and share a Star Wars “selfie” in various iconic costumes and settings, including Jedi, Princess Leia (with hair buns), Han Solo’s carbon freeze, and more
- Get Star Wars-themed weather and five-day forecasts, featuring original art and parallax effects of in-universe planets and locales
- Wield a lightsaber and hone your skills against a training remote, as seen in Star Wars: A New Hope
- Share animated GIFs with your friends and family of memorable scenes and characters from the Star Wars movies and TV shows, including Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars Rebels
- Discover behind-the-scenes fun facts with This Day In Star Wars History
- Play classic sound clips and sound effects from your favorite Star Wars characters, creatures, weapons, vehicles, and scenes
- Get quick updates with a snapshot news ticker
- Count down to major releases like Star Wars: The Force Awakens with an always-running timer
- Sign up for Star Wars ID and join the growing Star Wars fan community; choose an avatar, create your own handle, and build a connected profile
- Read official Star Wars news and blogs from StarWars.com, as well as app-exclusive content, including the latest on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, creator interviews, and more
- Follow official Star Wars social channels via aggregated, customizable feeds from Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Tumblr, Google+, and Twitter
- Watch official Star Wars videos, including movie trailers, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and more
- Discover the latest Star Wars digital apps, products and experiences from one central hub
Unfortunately, according to the Play Store listing, you won’t be able to get the best experience on an Android device, with the listing noting “For the best experience, we recommend using this app on an iPhone 5 or higher running iOS7.1 and above”.
For those of you wanting the best Star Wars app experience, perhaps now you have a use for Apple’s recent addition to the Google Play Store.
If you want to try out the Star Wars app for yourself head on over to the Play Store today.
Are you a Star Wars fan? Will you be installing the app?