Pocket Casts is a favourite app of the Ausdroid team for a variety of reasons but in short – it’s pretty awesome, has cool features, doesn’t cost the earth and the developers are really cool guys. One of the other big drivers is that its not a static app, they’ve done great things with it and continue to develop the product to stay on trend and with the current design standards which was why they won the Material Design award at Google I/O last year.
The update that has been released for Pocket Casts users today hasn’t just tweaked functions and fixed bugs, they’ve added some funky new features to make the app even better.
Check out the change log:
- You can now filter episodes by time. In the filter settings page there is a new option called “Released in the last” which you can set to 24 hours, 3 days, 1 week etc. We have changed the episode filters new users will have and this update will also add them to your list of filters.
- Marshmallow Auto Backup feature added so if you have app backups turned on (System Settings app -> Backup & reset) it will backup your Pocket Casts settings and database so after restoring a phone your app should look a lot more like it did.
- Switched to Marshmallow permissions. We now only have one permission that requires user approval, the storage permission. The app will only ask for permission for this if you change your storage location to a custom folder.
- Stats page data is now included in your sync account so if you reinstall they aren’t lost. The stats page is now a summary of stats across all your devices.
- Improved switching to a custom location so it picks up any existing episode files in the new location.
- Improved the search for podcast interface.
- Improved voice control. Give these a try after you have said “OK Google”
- “Listen to PODCAST NAME in Pocket Casts”
- “Listen to PLAYLIST NAME in Pocket Casts”
- “Listen to Up Next in Pocket Casts”
- New discover Nearby animation.
- Added a message for the podcast grid if you don’t have any podcasts.
- Faster podcast unsubscribe.
- Fixed issues with video player in landscape.
- Fixed mailto linking in show notes so it opens your mail client with all the fields populated.
- Fixed sync issue with very old starred episodes.
- Fixed the episode time left not updating in the list when returning to the app
- Emojis are now supporting in the show notes and episode titles.
- Lots of little fixes
So it seems that they have been very hard at work over the Christmas and New Year period after launching a completely redesigned Pocket Weather last week, now a big update for Pocket Casts.
What function is “missing” that you would like to see in Pocket Casts?