A few nights back Huawei held a press event to showcase its upcoming devices for next year. Amongst some WiFi Dongles, the S7 Tablet and a few other gadgets were the IDEOS X5 and IDEOS X6, both of which are fairly impressive Android Smartphones.

The IDEOS X5 is a 3.8″ device will sport the following specs:

• 3.8″ Capactive Display
  • Android 2.2
  • High-speed HSDPA/HSUPA
  • WiFi b/g/n
  • GPS w/ a-GPS
  • Google Apps
  • Accelerometer
  • 5MP Camera w/ LED Flash

The IDEOS X6 on the other hand is a tad larger with better specs, which Huawei hope will rival the best on the market but with a cheaper price:

• 4.1″ Capacitive Display
  • Android 2.2
  • HSPA+ 14.4Mbps
  • WiFi b/g/n
  • GPS w/ a-GPS
  • Google Apps
  • Accelerometer
  • HD Video Recording
  • HD Video Playback
  • Dolby Mobile Surround Sound
  • HDMI-out

If Huawei can keep the price low, and we know damn well they are capable of that, then these devices could really take off. Here’s to 2011.

Source: Huawei AU.
Stusmygsan2.1
Stusmygsan2.1

I got my sister an Ideos for $200, with android 2.2 and added a $70 16 G micro SDHC card. It’s 70% as powerful as my $850 sammy gs and will fly on her wi fi, only cheapy with 2.2.

edboy
edboy

There’s a full spec on this phone now at http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u9000_ideos_x6-3595.php. I definitely want one of these, but it says expected release is MAY!!! That’s a lifetime away. And if it says May, that presumably means for Europe or USA – when do you think we’ll get it here in Oz?

Michael
Michael

Does anyone else pronounce this company name with a Ren and Stimpy voice?

Michael
Michael
Reply to  Michael

Sorry, I meant the brand name (IDEOS).

Malik Wahaj Ahmed

The net selling rate of Huawei has increased after the record breaking Ideos which were quite low in prices and now Huawei is again back with this new tablet.. Loving these gadgets anyway.. thanks for the info…

nobodyatwp

just read some of the first reviews… looks like both phones come with a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor clocked at 1 GHz, pretty nice!

nobodyatwp

That said, i would be a little bit hesitant to buy any android phone now without a gyro, since i think that will be an important part of Android gaming come Gingerbread.

nobodyatwp

I reckon any company that makes half decent hardware, vanilla Android and guarantees updates for at least a year after the phone going into legacy will be a big winner!

BrainBeat
BrainBeat

They both look to be very nice featured phones at I would think at very competitive price points. At a total guess I would think the x5 would cost ~$350 and the x6 ~$600 but will be interesting to see how close I am.

The one problem is I might be curious enough to wait and find out before I decide on what phone to buy.

Simon
Simon

Mate i bought the Huawei IDEOS from Dick Smith this morning and i’m loving it! it’s worth every penny (which wasn’t alot of them anyways…)

They are making great hardware for stock android 🙂 i’m loving it.

Dylan
Dylan

any word on cpu/ram?

Jake Oliver
Jake Oliver
Reply to  Dylan

That’s the big thing for me too.

Dylan