With the Galaxy S 2 not very far away, Samsung and the carriers, are stepping up their moves to clear the remaining stock of the original Android powerhouse, the Galaxy S. Vodafone and Three have dropped the handset to $0 on a $29 and now Virgin have joined the fight, adding the Galaxy S to their Big Cap lineup, along with a $6 handset repayment. This brings the handset in at $35 a month for $450 of credit and 200MB of data. Great deal? I think so, what do you guys think?

Annoying Old Fart
Annoying Old Fart

Hmmm, let’s see… assuming I’m happy with the $29 cap (I usually am), the handset costs 6*24=$144. Better hardware than my Ideos (if my pocket is big enough to fit the Galaxy πŸ™‚ and $15 cheaper. Against being nailed to a 2-year plan. Is the Galaxy at 2.2 yet? or ever?

Fantastic device for the money. Wake me when it’s on prepaid.

Alan
Alan
Reply to  Annoying Old Fart

Galaxy S is at 2.2, but 2.2 is rubbish and lags a lot. 2.2.1 mostly fixed the lag issue, but Aussie telco has decided not to push out 2.2.1, and you’ll need to flash it yourself. Gingerbread is just around the corner though, but again will depend on Aussie telcos to push them out.

Alan
Alan

I think this is a fantastic deal! With Gingerbread update around the corner, there is no better deal on the market. Other than the upcoming dual core phones, this phone still ranks as one of the best smart phone on the market. It makes the likes of Arc & Incredible/Desire S seem very expensive in comparison.

Daniel
Daniel

It’s also free on Vodafone’s $29 cap

Christophe Chuvan
Reply to  Daniel

Is it? I’m looking at their website and it’s free on their $49 cap but +$14 with their $29 cap…

David Anderton
Reply to  Christophe Chuvan

its free on the easy cap but not on the smart cap. The easy cap comes with much less data and only free sms between virgin. Smartcap has unlimited sms to anyone.

Daniel
Daniel
Reply to  Christophe Chuvan

That’s interesting, I got it free on the $29 cap last Saturday, they might not have updated their website yet, or they might have made a lucky mistake in my case. It would be worth giving them a call to check.

CeeCee
CeeCee
Reply to  Daniel

Looks it’s now been updated, free on a $29 plan. Not bad, almost good enough to make me consider committing to a 2-year contract again…

CeeCee
CeeCee
Reply to  Daniel

doomdrop
doomdrop

Great deal.

Just waiting for my crappy Nokia contract to finish up in early June. So much choice at such an affordable price point.

Nathan Elcoate

Not a bad toy at that price!