Last week, we reported on the news of Vodafone testing Gingerbread, on a number of handsets. Now Optus has joined in, saying the are currently testing Gingerbread (2.3) on The Samsung Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab.

We’re now testing the Gingerbread (2.3) software for the Samsung Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab. Keep an eye on our feed for updates.

With the Gingerbread packing Samsung Galaxy S 2, kinda on it’s way. We can only hope these updates, on both Vodafone and Optus, hit customers devices sooner rather then later.

Source: Optus.
Paolo Carreon

I would like to hear from telstra about their galaxy tab update as well. Seeing as a lot bought the tab for $300.

Guest
Guest

Any chances getting it before Christmas?

Marcoss
Marcoss

So its a day away from August and still no Gingerbread or did I miss the event! Just hooked the phone to Kies and still no update. Has anyone heard of a firm date or has everyone given up on Optus?

killawicked
killawicked

when the fk is the update coming out for optus galaxy s… its bullshit. they are bringing fones out with it but not letting us update it… grrrrrrr

jivemaster
jivemaster

This is why you source your phones unbranded from the UK. Then you’re the first to get an update as soon as it lands, rather than sitting and waiting for months for it to trickle to the various carrier branded models where they waste time “testing” before sending it to customers. Please. They don’t have the technical expertise to test anything of the sort.

From my experience people in Optus stores barely know what Android is.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Do not get what Optus is testing. The software works. Optus should come clean and admit that they are loading their crap on it and testing that! They are not tesing Android.My next phone will be a Google one. No longer have to wait for OEM and Network provider to add their crap. (Can understand whay the OEM needs to test it as Adroid needs modification by device, but what the hell is the Network provider testing – hint Nexus S already has Android 2.3.x and is it not working on Aussie networks? Network Provider loads crap on it to… Read more Β»

Dazza iceman
Dazza iceman
Reply to  Anonymous

HE HE WILL SAID DAVID OPTUS IS PISSING EVER ONE OFF WATEING FOR THE SGS II BE RELEASE COME CLEAN OPTUS LET AS ALL NO !!!!!!

Dazza iceman
Dazza iceman
Reply to  Dazza iceman

i just rang ask optus went is the release date for the sgs ii and said 11 / 6 / 2011 yahooooooo………

JeniSkunk
JeniSkunk
Reply to  Dazza iceman

Did Optus mean 6th November 2011, or 11th June 2011?

DAZZA ICEMAN
DAZZA ICEMAN
Reply to  Dazza iceman

11 OF june of next mouth 2011

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Dazza iceman

10 days to go then πŸ™‚

aysean
aysean

After upgrading to Gingerbread 2.3, my virginmobile Samsung Galaxy S’s internet settings no longer work properly. I am able to connect to Gmail and sync, but i’m unable to log onto my facebook or youtube. πŸ™

Jim
Jim

I should let them know it works fine… been testing it for weeks now. This release will Probably remove 99% of support calls for the phone.

borkbork
borkbork
Reply to  Jim

Which version? I finally flashed mine to 2.2.1 (XWJS7) and it’s working good. I’m loathe to touch it again now, certainly wouldn’t let an Optus-cooked rom back on there…

Coffeeb33n
Coffeeb33n

I hope the update for the galaxy s makes it to virgin.

David Anderton
Reply to  Coffeeb33n

same network so should get it at the same time

Rob Fowler

Anyone dubious about this? Let’s face it the 2.2 update timing bore no relationship to the Optus twitter account. I’ll believe it when I start seeing updates on XDA like last time.