It’s clear to see that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Motorola RAZR are the two most talked about Android devices at the moment, so it’s only fair that we bring out the good ol’ comparison table and put them head-to-head on paper. We’ve highlighted in green what we think is the best of each comparison element, your opinion of best may differ from ours, use only a guide.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola RAZR
CPU 1.2GHz Dual-Core OMAP 4460 1.2GHz Dual-Core OMAP 4430
GPU PowerVR SGX540 @ 384 MHz PowerVR SGX540 @ 304 MHz
Display 4.65-inch 1280×720 HD (316ppi) Super AMOLED HD 4.3-inch 960×540 qHD (257ppi) Super AMOLED
Android Ver. 4.0 2.3.5
Camera 5MP Rear / 1.3MP Front 8MP Rear / 2MP Front
Video Recording 1080p @ 30FPS (Stereo Sound) 1080p @ 30FPS (Stereo Sound) / 720p Front Camera
3G 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz 850/900/1900/2100MHz
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Dual-Band, DLNA 802.11 b/g/n, DLNA
Bluetooth 3.0 w/ A2DP 4.0 w/ LE+EDR
RAM / Storage 1GB / 16GB 1GB / 16GB
External Storage No Expansion Slot Up to 32GB MicroSD
Weight 135grams 127grams
Dimensions 135.5 x 67.9 x 8.9 mm 130.7 x 68.9 x 7.1 mm
Battery 1750mAh 1780mAh

Have at it in the comments, I’ll be sure to vent as well.

Ben Neill
Ben Neill

if it had an expansion slot, it’d be a no-brainer! I have owned phones with expansion for the past 6 years – it’s a must-have feature for me.

I’ll have to wait for the next batch before I upgrade

:sigh:

Matheos_7
Matheos_7

Anyone know a release date for the nexus here in Australia????
Cheers

Ozboy08
Ozboy08

Can’t believe the nexus has no sd expansion slot.

Dsmith6182
Dsmith6182

It will be interesting to see how Motorola handles the update to ICS for the RAZR. My question is , will they stuff it up by skinning MOTOBLUR over the top of it? I mean, whats the point of having great specs if the phone still runs like crap. I think I’ll play it safe and go the Galaxy Nexus. Everything optimized for the phone with guaranteed updates.

Anonymous

If I were choosing between these two phones, I think I’d prefer the Nexus due to the bigger screen.

Jake Oliver
Jake Oliver
Reply to  Anonymous

I’d choose the Nexus as it’s pretty much assured to actually get android updates, when they are released. Motorola’s update schedule is just dismal.

PseudoEdge
PseudoEdge
Reply to  Jake Oliver

Can’t really say that now that Google owns them.

Buzz Moody
Reply to  PseudoEdge

Google doesn’t own them, yet.

Lachlan Matthias
Reply to  PseudoEdge

yes they do? didn’t they buy Motorola a few weeks back?

Wicell
Wicell
Reply to  PseudoEdge

Just because google is *going* to own Moto, doesn’t mean Moto’s update schedule will change. Google said they will not interfere with Moto’s operations.

Stephen Crisafulli

After 2 years of bypassig the nexus phones for what I though were better specked OEM phones EG desire over the nexus one. This year there is no way im passing up the nexus

DzeRNumbrd

Buzz – question without notice, have you fallen for the old “more megapixels are better” furphy about cameras or do you really think RAZR camera is better than Galaxy Nexus camera? 8 MP vs 5 MP doesn’t mean anything – camera quality is about the CCD/CMOS sensor, the lenses, the JPEG processing software.  Specs don’t tell you that.  Megapixels tell you how big you can print stuff on paper.  Not many people print hard copies of their smartphones pictures from what I’ve seen. In the comparison photos shown here: http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/galaxy-nexus-vs-iphone-4s/ under the heading of “Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4S sample photos”… Read more »

Reply to  DzeRNumbrd

The example photos on engadget taken with the new nexus look pretty crappy!!

DzeRNumbrd
Reply to  Level380

Did you even look at my link?

Look at the photos under the heading I said.

We already know the iPhone 4S has a great camera – so if the Nexus beats the iPhone 4S then we can say the Nexus has a great camera right?

So go to my link, open the comparison photos between iPhone4S and Nexus and you can see in each comparison the Nexus is better in some way.

So when you get the Nexus camera in a decent environment (not a dark office building) the photos should be very good.

e.g.,

Reply to  DzeRNumbrd

Did you look at my link? The example photos I have look pretty crappy as well! Plus I watched the 1080p version of the live stream and
not impressed with the pics shown/taken on stage either.

So we have one set of nice photos, one of set of crap photos via engadget and another onstage demo set of average photos…. hmmmmm which one is right?

DzeRNumbrd
Reply to  DzeRNumbrd

Yes I did read your link (about 6 days ago). You will notice they were taken in the same office building. My link provides iPhone 4S samples and Galaxy Nexus samples – so you can judge the camera by its relative performance instead of its absolute performance.  It is hard to judge on absolute performance when you only have a small amount of sample photos taken in a dark office building. So what I am saying is if you take an already impressive and well reviewed camera (iPhone 4S) and then judge the nexus photos against that (on a relative… Read more »

Reply to  DzeRNumbrd

These example galaxy nexus shots are pretty crappy….. http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/samsung-galaxy-nexus-camera-and-1080p-video-samples/

Buzz Moody
Reply to  DzeRNumbrd

From the links above and below, the photos look pretty ‘meh’ to say the least, hence why I want to give Motorola the benefit of the doubt (I’ll eat those words later, no doubt).

I highlighted what *I* thought were best, if you think 5MP on the Galaxy Nexus is best, then that’s awesome.

J. Williams
J. Williams

I would never get a Motorola over a Samsung device, ever.

Reply to  J. Williams

reasons?

Jake Oliver
Jake Oliver
Reply to  J. Williams

and yet you appear to have a samsing device as your disqus avatar?

J. Williams
J. Williams
Reply to  Jake Oliver

Read it again, oops. Corrected it to say what I meant originally.

Jake Oliver
Jake Oliver
Reply to  J. Williams

Haha thought it would be something like that.

And I wholly agree, after one motorola phone, I would never touch another. Just got a little bit sick of the lack of unlocked bootloader, the poor support (oh the froyo update has been delayed another month has it?), and the dying hardware (Digitizer died, headphone jack died, camera button died).

Plus Samsung AMOLED screens are teh sex.

J. Williams
J. Williams
Reply to  Jake Oliver

You are right, super amoled screens are the best. Period

Regardless of what the Specs say, Sammy is running the android world. Smartphone world to be exact! My Galaxy S II is flat out amazing, nothing can beat it out right. When the Galaxy Nexus comes, I might have a problem lol. That thing is a beast, and Motorola could never make a device that good.

Samsung Galaxy S phones are top!

Reply to  J. Williams

Oh okay, I would.

Eat
Eat

File system? Bad experience with crappy FS on the SGS still burn …

Reply to  Eat

I’m not super certain on this, but I believe both use ext4. The SGN definitely does. The RAZR, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t.

Jake Oliver
Jake Oliver
Reply to  Eat

It’s a nexus device.
It will probably be using yaffs2 like pretty much all nexus devices.

Ivan Di Giusto
Ivan Di Giusto
Reply to  Jake Oliver

Android 2.3 devices are using ext4.  I would expect ICS to continue using ext4.

Ryan
Ryan

How is NFC an android beam an amazing thing? I’m not very well up to date on the tech but android beam seems to me just a quicker version of bluetooth?

And NFC, i guess I just dont know what things it will prove useful for (apart from Google Wallet)…

Buzz Moody
Reply to  Ryan

Android Beam *is* NFC.

Ryan
Ryan
Reply to  Buzz Moody

haha yep i know that, but more specifically wanted to know what all the buzz (sorry for the pun) around NFC and thus android beam is 🙂

Buzz Moody
Reply to  Ryan

I can’t answer that after the use of my name in such a pun. 😉

Reply to  Ryan

if nfc is always on and does not require pairing then that is already a huge plus over bt. i also think google wallet is the best use of nfc and would generally use email instead of ‘beaming’ stuff to another user, i can’t think of any cases where you would actually want to use it. ie: if you’re sending someone a map it’s most likely that they are not right next to you. contacts are feasible but I can’t think of a time when I have ever thought “i wish i could send this contact to someone in a… Read more »

Reply to  Ryan

I’m really liking this Australian NFC usage. http://www.electronicsnews.com.au/news/nfc-based-food-court-ordering-system-built-in-sydn

Erivera989
Erivera989

NFC is a big thing on up coming phones, but yet no one mentions it. I know the Nexus will have it, Razor? I don’t think Samsung put their best foot forward with the Nexus, but they did well, let’s. See what Verizon customers think.

Buzz Moody

No one noticed I accidentally put 320ppi for the RAZR? Silly me.

Grunger
Grunger
Reply to  Buzz Moody

Buzz, for posting misleading information and emotional turmoil (as in you got my hopes up), I’m suing ya. But I will accept a free phone as compensation.

:p

Mark Smith
Mark Smith

The extra strength & splashproofing is a big plus on the razr for some people too.

Anonymous

The OMAP 4430 in the RAZR runs the GPU at 304 Mhz, in SGN’s 4460 it is running at 384 Mhz. So even though they are both using a SGX540, the 4460 is at least 28% faster.

Buzz Moody
Reply to  Anonymous

Awesome! Thanks for pointing it out, I should have checked that out before I posted. (updated post)

Matt Booth
Matt Booth
Reply to  Buzz Moody

Aryonoco knows his hardware, he is my authority on wp as well 🙂

Reply to  Matt Booth

Heh, funny thing is, I’m actually a software dev!

unfunk Freeman

what the crap is ‘dual band’ wifi?

Ben
Ben
Reply to  unfunk Freeman

dual band – as in both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
Wifi b/g works on 2.4ghz and wifi a works on 5Ghz and wifi n works on both.

JeniSkunk
JeniSkunk

Buzz, one thing missing from that specs comparison: Memory Expansion.
Motorola RAZR: Up to 32GB microSDHC
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: no memory expansion capability.

Buzz Moody
Reply to  JeniSkunk

Good point. Added it to the post.

Godfrey
Godfrey
Reply to  JeniSkunk

Uhhh. What the?  Why wouldn’t it have an SD card slot?  I just bought a sandisk 64gb from the states which works in my HTC Desire.  You’ve just killed this phone for me.  Seriously, thank you – was just about to put an order with kogan.

Andrew Palozzo

There is no reason, none what so ever someone picks up a Razr over a Galaxy Nexus.. regardless of how many greens it may have in this spec run down.

Justin Harvey
Reply to  Andrew Palozzo

y not?
if you like the look of it more and the thinness and dont want an overly green display with higher ppi.
Its going to get ICS and im sure there will be a CM support for it in some way

Reply to  Justin Harvey

The 8MP Camera is a pretty damn good reason to go for the RAZR

Jake Oliver
Jake Oliver
Reply to  Justin Harvey

Have you seen how fast motorola keep their phones up to date? 😛

Reply to  Andrew Palozzo

better cameras…… more memory, cheaper, ICS coming. Sounds like a better phone to me!

llerrad Reham
llerrad Reham
Reply to  Level380

More mega pixels doesn’t automatically indicate better camera. Just pointing that out.

Reply to  llerrad Reham

Looking at the galaxy nexus sample pictures on engadget (link http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/samsung-galaxy-nexus-camera-and-1080p-video-samples/), I would have to say in this example more MP = better camera! the current crop of 8mp cameras seem to take better pictures than the GN 5mp shooter.

I don’t fall for the more MP is better, but sadly the sample pictures are not very nice!

I so wanted to love the new nexus but they are making is so hard for me to love it!! The SGSII for $499 16GB version is looking to be so much better value!