Sony has unveiled a new member of its Xperia lineup, the Sony Xperia S — that’s right, no more ‘Ericsson’ to be seen. The Xperia S is the Nozomi which we’ve seen leaked around the internet the past and the specs are exactly what we were expecting.
- 4.3-inch 1280×720 342ppi (HD) Reality Display
- 1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 Dual-Core CPU
- Android 2.3 (4.0 coming during the second quarter)
- HSPA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
- 1GB RAM, 16/32GB Interal Storage
- 12MP Rear Camera / 1.3MP HD Front Camera
- Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth, NFC
Sony says that the Xperia S is the start of a new line of phones called Xperia NXT which will bring the “Iconic Identity” back to Sony that will be instantly recognisable. So any future releases of Xperia devices from Sony will have a similar look to the Xperia S — something we’re 100% okay with. The Xperia S is also fully PlayStation Certified so you have full access to Sony’s PlayStation games.
The thin white/see-through band below the screen houses the antenna and lights for notifications and the three buttons — back, home, menu. The Xperia S will also come in white, which is the colour the previously leaked device was. As for a release date, Sony says it will launch globally during the first quarter of this year, so we’ll certainly see a launch here and we’ll let you know as soon as we hear anything.