Update: The release is Autumn, not Spring. The email was a global one, therefore the seasons are for the northern hemisphere, not the more-important southern hemisphere. Our apologies for not picking up on this earlier.
In an email from Sony Ericsson Australia’s Chief Marketing Officer, Steve Walker, a release date for the Sony Xperia S was mentioned and we’re pretty excited about it, mainly due to the excellent specs of the device.
“The first smartphone product from Sony, available this [Autumn], will be the new Sony Xperia™ S”
While the Sony Ericsson Australia website has had the Xperia S listed as ‘Coming Soon’ for almost a month, there’s been no real idea of a release date, but now we have a vague idea. As for specs, it’s all really quite impressive, but we’ll hold proper judgement until we’ve actually played with one — the UI could be a let-down, it could also be awesome.
- 4.3-inch 1280×720 342ppi (HD) Reality Display
- 1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8260 Dual-Core CPU
- Android 2.3 (4.0 coming during the second quarter)
- HSPA 14.4Mbps 850/900/1900/2100MHz
- 1GB RAM, 16/32GB Interal Storage
- 12MP Rear Camera / 1.3MP HD Front Camera
- Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth, NFC
If the price is right, would you be interested in the Xperia S? Or will you wait it out to see what Samsung has hiding in the Galaxy S III? For me, it’s the latter.