Telstra have pushed out the Android 4.0.3 ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ update to their first 4G device, the HTC Velocity 4G. As promised, it is the first HTC phone on Telstra to receive the update — HTC Sensation can’t be too far off — and can now be downloaded over the air, if you haven’t already updated.

With the update you’ll be brought up to the latest version of Android with plenty of new features and (hopefully) speed increases as well. The version of Sense UI is 3.6 which is the ‘lite’ version of Sense UI 4.0 that is made for devices which can’t quite handle Sense UI 4.0. Enjoy!

Source: Whirlpool.
Jsmith
Jsmith

The Htc Velocity really annoys me after the ICS upgrade, now every single time I switch on the phone it upgrades 86 modules, this takes around 5 minutes as well as wasting phone battery life, really annoyed at it.

Jsmith
Jsmith

Since I placed the upgrade on my Velocity, everytime I power on the phone I get installing 1/79 files, and it goes through the process time and again on every single boot, kinda sucks really as I have to wait an extra 2-4 minutes to boot up the phone.

Moysie
Moysie
Reply to  Jsmith

I have the same problem, anyone found a fix for this yet?

Georgenitsis
Georgenitsis

Ever since updating my 3g connection is crap and no sound on any of my videos. anyone know why I got no sound and can you go back to the previous version

Jon
Jon

Why hasn’t Telstra pushed out 4.0.3 to the Galaxy Nexus??? Get your act together. Nexus devices are supposed to be updated first

Cameron Veenendaal

I updated this yesterday and the reception has dropped so much! I work in the Eastern Suburbs of NSW and in my shop within Westfield I didn’t get fantastic internet speeds but at least it would work. Not after the update, I literally have nothing! Also I live in the city where my 4G speeds were AT LEAST 28mbps and if I go onto my balcony, 38-40mbps, now, the maximum I get is 18mbps. If you have the Velocity and are looking at updating to ICS, don’t. It’s absolutely appalling. Also every time I restart or switch on the phone,… Read more »

Gambit smith
Gambit smith

I have had icecold sandwich, and Coredroid latest rom on my HTC Desire HD for over 1 month now…(dual boot), and really…. Im over it… Im happy with 2.3.3 and Sence 3.5.
and for those who say, “phones can’t handle sence 4.0” mine can, but there really isn’t much difference.

Storm in a tea cup…

Tired Aussie Android user
Tired Aussie Android user

I used to be a nokia loyalist then turned to android because of its openness and flexibility. However, after HTC Desire, HTC sensation and Motorola Xoom, I think I’ve had enough. I mean, Xoom was announced as a GED in Feb 2011. After that Ipad 2 came and Ipad 3 is announced. Its a shame that a dual core processor totting tablet with a tablet optimized OS lags when you go from one screen to the next, web page scrolling is not smooth and it doesnt load web pages right. I had the misfortune of experiencing HTC’s pathetic manufacturing when… Read more »

So?
So?
Reply to  Tired Aussie Android user

What does “carrier testing” mean anyway?  Testing that their bloatware still works?  What else can they test?

Tired Aussie Android user
Tired Aussie Android user
Reply to  So?

From what I gather from my reading and discussion with friends who work as software testers, it normally involves checking that the software that has been/ is going to be put into the product works, works well enough (speed and efficiency and things like that) and does not have any adverse effects on the device or other parts of the OS or software that will be working in the product. But just as you have pointed out GED or vanilla products do not have any carrier put in software. The other testing has to be the radio module. Considering the… Read more »

Frank Benign
Frank Benign
Reply to  Tired Aussie Android user

Well the modem drive is vendor specific, I believe, and may have certain parameters that the carrier may want to tweak for better performance.  But honestly, I wouldn’t mind a Winphone.  Unfortunately, flagships are either Android or Apple.

Tired Aussie Android user
Tired Aussie Android user
Reply to  Frank Benign

That could change soon. I am more excited with my N9 than I was with either the sensation or the desire. Its pretty unique and fun to use. Lack of apps is the only problem. I am saying this after using the phone for a while now. Its very good, both hardware and software.

Considering the Lumia 800 and 900 are coming off the same model I have a feeling its gonna work and its gonna save nokia. Win8 being so tablet compatible and its going to create a tightly knit ecosystem.

Baloor
Baloor

The version of Sense UI is 3.6 which is the ‘lite’ version of Sense UI 4.0 that is made for devices which can’t quite handle Sense UI 4.0.
HTC have stated that they are keeping Sense 4 to their new series of soon to be released phones to differentiate them from existing products. Sense 3.6 is for current HTC phones not because they cannot run Sense 4 at all..

DzeRNumbrd

From the way the article is written it sounds like the Velocity is the one getting the hobbled 3.6 version but I’m assuming the Velocity gets Sense 4.0 and Sensation get 3.6

Damian Kidd

I made a quick video of the ICS changes for the Velocity

Geoff Fieldew
Geoff Fieldew
Reply to  Damian Kidd

Good work with the video Damian. That was quite informative.

Glenn
Glenn

Just installed it an hour ago on my sister’s boyfriend’s Velocity (which has been a POS for him since he’s had it, runs hot, reboots… He’ll probably take it back soon!). Definitely faster than before though, but Sense… it makes me want to pull my hair out. ICS looks and feels so so so so much better.

Does anyone know how to make the Velocity use the stock ICS launcher without root? I remember being able to use stock GB on my old Desire, I want to at least give him the option to try it out.

Matt Booth
Matt Booth
Reply to  Glenn

Next best thing is to use Nova Launcher. Stock ICS launcher look but with a ton of extra features, highly recommended for anyone running ICS: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Also, you can run Google Chrome browser now!

Andreas
Andreas
Reply to  Glenn

Apex Launcher is another alternative. Nova has a free and paid version, Apex is free and has similar features to the paid version of Nova.

Much better than the stock ICS launcher which is very sparse on features.

Frank Benign
Frank Benign

ICS rolling out for SGSII in Europe.

qldsparky
qldsparky
Reply to  Frank Benign

for real this time??

hazard69
hazard69
Reply to  qldsparky

Yep, I’ve had Stock ICS on my SGS II for a couple of days now, runs great 😀

qldsparky
qldsparky
Reply to  Frank Benign

seems it’s rolling out in lots of places in world including Korea right now-from Clover quoting Samsung mobile twitter

Chris
Chris

Just checked my Velocity and there is no update as of Tues 9pm

Chris
Chris
Reply to  Chris

Got it now

The Squid
The Squid

Uhhhh and the galaxy Nexus update is where?

Rellikzephyr
Rellikzephyr
Reply to  The Squid

uhhhh  not needed it is ICS flagship device, hence has newest ICS, always has

Vanvin
Vanvin
Reply to  Rellikzephyr

The guy could be referring to android 4.0.3 However, there are no new features compared to 4.0.1, just some bug fixes.

Just wait for Google to release Jelly Bean.

Geoff Fieldew
Geoff Fieldew

So glad to see ICS being pushed out to high end devices from Samsung (GSII) and now HTC (Velocity). I was really worried the OEMs were just sitting on their hands.