It’s really no surprise to anyone who’s been around the Android ecosystem for any time that CyanogenMod are giving some serious love in the form of nightly builds to the brand new Galaxy S III from Samsung. Samsung being one of the few hardware manufacturers who simply accept that there are people who will root and ROM devices so do not make it difficult to do so, in fact Samsung actively encorage and allow developers access to their devices.
CAUTION: If you’re considering rooting and installing CM9 onto your phone it’s a nightly build. Which means bugs, and lots of them!
The developer responsible for this issues the following warning (which I had to share since it made me chuckle so much)
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading
* cause of male impotence.
So while it’s not yet at a point where anyone; including the developer would call it a daily driver, CyanogenMod is making the move onto the latest Android flagship device. Knowing their previous cycle of builds this is the precursor to a stable mod that will certainly be capable as a daily driver. I’ve always liked CyanogenMod builds and once a stable build is out I’ll be looking to flash my Galaxy S III fairly quickly.