Around this time last year, we put the call out for people to join Ausdroid as writers and reviewers, and more recently, we’ve invited a few friends from Twitter to join us on a casual basis. However, with the changing availability of some of our longer term staff, we’re putting the call out again — via the site — for new writing talent to join the Ausdroid team.
Ausdroid is — without question — the most widely read source of Australian news about Android, and we’ve been running for almost two and a half years now. If you think you can contribute to Ausdroid’s continued success, and if you have what we’re after, read on.
What we’re offering:
- Up to three positions as a writer with Ausdroid.
- A superior blogging platform where you can truly reach a huge audience.
- You’ll start as an author, and you’ll have the option to be involved in the podcast, advertising sales, attending media events and product launches.
- Our editorial staff are available for mentoring and training whenever you need it.
- The positions are voluntary, and unpaid (the same is true of everyone else who writes here).
- Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed, e.g. travel to attend events, postage, and some equipment (subject to prior approval).
- Sometimes we get nifty gadgets, or Ausdroid buys its writers toys or gifts to say thanks.
- Sometimes we have meetings or get-togethers in Sydney or Melbourne – we may fly you to these if you live outside these areas (reasonable expenses paid).
What we need:
- You’ll need to be able to post four to five stories a week on average, including identifying news of interest to our readers, researching it and putting together posts. Expect to spend between a quarter and half an hour on a good story.
- If you are a student, you are encouraged to apply. We (obviously) have a particular interest in journalism or technology related subject areas.
- You’ll need to have access to your own computer, internet connection, etc – unfortunately we can’t provide this.
- Podcasts are recorded fortnightly on a Tuesday night – if you want to participate, you’ll need to be available at this time.
- You’ll need basic things, like good spelling and grammar, and the ability to write engaging, entertaining pieces from time to time.
- We have editorial guidelines which we expect you to adhere to. Failure to play by the rules may mean we no longer need your services (but they are very easy to comply with).
How to apply:
- Decide whether you are interested in what we’re offering, and whether you can offer what we need.
- Fill our the application form here.
- If you meet our criteria, and your application is strong, we’ll shortlist you for an interview, which might be by email or a quick phone call.
- Successful applicants will be contacted and invited to join us!
- Those who join will have an induction with one of our editors to go through:
- the blogging platform,
- our expectations,
- the code of conduct, and
- how Ausdroid works.