Pocket Casts is one of our favourite apps of all time here at Ausdroid and today Shifty Jelly announced that they are about to release Version 4 of their awesome Pod Casting application this month. The Android version is due to be released first before the iOS application and one reason given is that it sold 5x better on Android than iOS but fear not Apple users because version 4 for iOS will be out later this year. The new features look fantastic including something I have been wanting for a long time -device syncing. The complete list of upgrades are :
- Completely redesigned, completely awesome, modern Android user interface.
- Tablet support. We’ve targeted Nexus 7 and 10, and it looks great on others too.
- Cross-device syncing of your subscriptions, playlists and play states on every Android device you own. We *love* this feature.
- Remote backup. You can now drop your phone in a toilet and not lose your podcasts. Buying a new phone and setting it up has never been easier.
- Actual smart dynamic playlists. Want a list of every unplayed, downloaded podcast? Right here. How about a list of video episodes that you haven’t downloaded yet? Easy. Manual playlists are here as well for the super picky among you.
- A lot more. But we’re not telling the rest until we release it.
The new version will be a free upgrade for all users who have purchased through Google Play, but if the comments on the Reddit thread and the Pocket Casts Twitter account are anything to go by you’d better hurry up and purchase because the price may be going up, it’s currently $2.99 but Shifty Jelly are definitely intending to raise the price on launch so I recommend you get in there fast if for some reason you haven’t already.
Our own Phil Tann has been Beta testing the app and is looking forward to bringing a full review out here as soon as he’s allowed but from all accounts he is certainly impressed with what he’s seen.