In June/July of this year the British and Irish Lions will tour Australia playing Rugby against the Wallabies. There will be three tests played in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney as well as games played in between against local sides such as the Western Force, QLD Reds, Brumbies and Rebels. The ARU has just released the official Android app to Google Play – there is an iOS version as well in iTunes – and it contains pretty much all the info you’ll need to follow the tour.
The app is delivered by Accenture, the official technology consulting partner of the Australian Rugby Union and Qantas Wallabies. Accenture Australia’s Mobility Lead, John Cassidy says
We are delighted to partner with the ARU to deliver an interactive fan experience during the 2013 British & Irish Lions Tour. Designed with fans in mind the app will revolutionise match analysis, through live play-by-play commentary, real time scores, video and post-match analysis. This application puts the Qantas Wallabies and the ARU at the forefront of global innovation in sports and fan engagement.
The app features :
- News, Fixtures and Results – see all the latest news from on and off the field.
- Live Scores – access play-by-play, real-time stats and Twitter commentary as it happens.
- Statistics – gain deeper insight into the Tour through revolutionary match analysis, available before, during and after every match.
- Teams – browse profile statistics from every player in the competition.
- News – live interaction throughout the Tour with regular news updates and pictures.
- Exclusive Video – enjoy the latest video content from the ARU’s YouTube channel including behind the scenes footage and pre and post-game analysis.
The app is free to download in Google Play, it’s avaialable for Android devices running Froyo(Android 2.2) and upwards and is a smallish 2.9MB download. For all you Rugby Union fans out there, get into it.