Caterpillar the company that makes some of the largest earth moving equipment around, is moving into Smartphones and just like that equipment, the B15 from CatPhones is a ruggedised device built to withstand potential damage from water, shock and dust.
Built in co-operation with Bullitt Mobile – a British company – the B15 is IP67 certified, meaning it’s both dustproof and waterproof and it also has wet finger tracking meaning it can be used with wet hands. The body is made of aluminium and comes in a toughened rubberised casing with Corning Gorilla Glass covering the screen and Cat advise it will survive a 1.8M drop onto concrete.
Caterpillar B15 Specifications :
- 4″ 480 x 800 Multi-Touch Capacative screen
- Dual-Core 1GHz CPU
- 512MB RAM
- 4GB Internal Storage with microSD Card(up to 32GB)
- 5MP Rear Camera
- A-GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and FM Radio
- 3G : 850/1900 or 900/2100
- IP67 Ingress Protection : Water and Dustproof
- Operating from -20°C to 55°C
- Android 4.1
- 2000mah Battery
- Talk Time – Up to 16.3 Hours
- Standby Time – Up to 26 Days(Single SIM) or 19 Days(Dual SIM)
- 125×69.5×14.95mm @ 170 grams
Caterpillar has also been thinking about accessories as well, they’re offering a set of branded ear buds with on-wire volume control and three sizes of ear buds. There is also a Caterpillar branded car charger available as well.
The B15 is not available for sale in Australia, however it is available in the US and Europe. The complete list of carriers is available over on the CatPhones website. We’ve approached Caterpillar about whether the phone will be released here and will advise when they respond.
Just how rugged do you need your Smartphone?