Vodafone has advised in a Blog post that the upgrade for the Sony Xperia Z, from Android 4.1.2 to Android 4.2.2 has been approved as of the 23rd of July and should be rolling out as an OTA update or through the Sony PC Companion software update application.
The Android 4.2.2 update brings about a whole host of updates to the Xperia Z including :
- General stability and performance improvements
- New settings available: “Increasing Ringtone” and “Pulse Notification”
- Application security improvements
- Lockscreen widgets
- Customisable “Quick Settings” in the notification bar (max 10)
- Transparent notification and navigation bar
- My Xperia service introduction
Before performing the upgrade, Vodafone recommend that you back up your phone including any messages, photos and contacts and preferably connect your phone to a power supply as the update process may drain the battery.
The update is available free of charge and if downloaded via the Sony PC Companion application weighs in at around 741MB or if downloaded as an OTA update using a Vodafone Australia SIM or Wi-Fi it’s around 180MB.
Shout out in the comments if you’ve updated your Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 and let us know if you’ve noticed any differences.