Monday , October 23 2017

NEC calls it quits on its struggling smartphone business

Nec-logo

Well it looks like the first Android smartphone player in the Asian markets has bitten the dust, with news out of South Korea yesterday that NEC will shut down it’s struggling smartphone business.

Of course this comes as no surprise as CNet reported that NEC had been trying to sell its struggling smartphone business to the market without any real potential buyers wishing to snap it up, except for Lenovo which was reported as having interest in purchasing the business, but that talks eventually stalled and then broke down.

NEC’s mobile phone business suffered an operating loss of 9 billion Yen last quarter according to Reuters.

For all those wondering if this includes the tablet business, NEC has stated that the shutdown will not affect the tablet business and that the shutdown only applies to the smartphone business.

So what do you think of NEC decision to shutdown its smartphone business? Are you upset that they are closing? If you have owned an NEC device, tell us your thoughts in the comments below.

 
Source: Android Police, and Reuters.
Via: C Net.

Alex Dennis   Journalist

By day, Alex works within the Industrial Relations field/occupation but by night and in his spare down time he searches the net for anything and everything relating to Android and Chrome related products and news.

Other various interests Alex has include, Accessible transport for people with disabilities along with LGBTIQ and Health related fields and interests for again for people with disabilities.

Join the Ausdroid Conversation

9 Comments on "NEC calls it quits on its struggling smartphone business"

avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Lachlan
Valued Guest
Lachlan

I never knew they made smartphones! would have checked it out if they did. I guess that’s one of the reasons they had to give it up

Lachlan
Valued Guest
Lachlan

You guys should do a review of one! 🙂

CatLovingMan
Valued Guest
CatLovingMan

I didn’t know they made smartphones, which is probably one reason they went bust.

Member

NEC makes smartphones?? Who knew?

Member

Sorry, hit the down vote button instead of reply! Anyway, NEC’s first smartphone was released in 2011, so they were behind from the start and never really caught up. They mainly concentrated on flip phones, and just didn’t see the rise of the smartphone until it was too late.

demon rob
Valued Guest
demon rob

does NEC make anything anymore?
many years since they were relevant to anything.

Chris
Valued Guest
Chris

NEC is a Japanese company not South Korean.

Ozboy08
Valued Guest
Ozboy08

The article never said NEC was South Korean. And the fact it says the loss was some 9b Yen also points to it being Japanese.

Chris
Valued Guest
Chris

The article dose say , with news out of South Korea yesterday that NEC will shut down it’s struggling smartphone business `

wpDiscuz

Check Also

The 2017 Melbourne Cup Carnival will be streamed live on Twitter

Last year the Melbourne Cup was live streamed on Twitter and was wildly successful with …