LG 2560x1440
If the sight of the letters QHD makes you think 960×540 resolution screens, prepare to re-think those perceptions. LG has just announced a 5.5″ QHD panel for Smartphones with a 2560×1440 resolution meaning that QHD now stands for Quad HD – or four times as many pixels as displayed on a 720P HDTV.

The panel measures only 1.21mm thick, making it a millimeter thinner than their last screen – announced only a month ago which was 2.2mm thick and had a resolution of a comparitively small 1920×1080. The new panel is packing 538ppi and has a brightness of 430 nits.

The technology is built on Low Temperature Poly-Silicon(LTPS) and research firm DisplaySearch estimates that 765 million LTPS displays will ship in the next year. That’s a lot of displays.

While it’s perhaps too late to expect the screen to ship in a device this year, we’ll definitely see it some time soon but the question is when and in which product?

Are LCD Panels resolutions on Smartphones getting too high?

Source: Android Central.
  • COMPANIES
  • LG
Sujay Vilash
Sujay Vilash

If Samsung charge USD20 for each of these panels, at 765m panels, that is a lot of dosh. No wonder they are able to spend so much on R&D. But my guess is the cost will be more than USD20.

Damon Lewis
Damon Lewis

The problem is still being able to push that many pixels in any kind of intensive application.

Andrew

“If the site of…” shouldn’t that be ‘sight’

This announced a couple of months before the Nexus 4 update… here’s hoping 🙂

Daniel Tyson
Reply to  Andrew

Indeed it is. That’s what happens when I rush a post out at work ;). Fixed.

geoff fieldew

Full HD 1920×1080 on a phone is largely unnecessary in my opinion. Q(uad)HD which is four times the resolution of 1280×720 HD) is ridiculous. q(uarter)HD which is a quarter the size of Full HD is also acceptable on phones less than 4 inches. Just my opinion.

Andrew
Reply to  geoff fieldew

Having 720 or 1080 in a phone is nice because you’re holding the screen a lot closer than a tablet and makes reading much nicer. There’s a point where you can’t physically see any difference (the whole retina thing Apple went on about). 538ppi is way above that and mostly pointless other than as a selling point.

geoff fieldew
Reply to  Andrew

Agreed. It’s just one up man ship now. I have a 768 phone (Nexus 4) and a 1080 phone Xperia Z. I don’t notice the ppi difference at all in normal use.

The difference on a tablet is more noticeable though. I definitely notice the sharper text on my 2013 Nexus 7 compared to my old 2012 Nexus 7.

Fred
Fred
Reply to  geoff fieldew

I can see a point to hyper pixel densities.

Imagine the display that drives a Google Glass. That needs to be small, but bright and high resolution.

If the physical display was 1 cm wide, and you wanted 720p resolution, you’d be looking at 3250 ppi.