The LG G Flex was first thought to be a small scale South Korean exclusive, due to manufacturing challenges associated with the unique curved screen, display and battery. It was launched in Korea on the 12th of November. We then reported that the availability would spread to Orange in France in early December. Now LG has sent out invitations to a G Flex international launch event in Hong Kong on the 3rd of December.
The G Flex is an exciting innovation from LG. Not only does it feature a curved screen and display, but it also has a self healing back plate, that when lightly scratched can rejuvenate itself in a matter of minutes – faster if you apply a small amount of heat. It’s also bendable, so if put in a back pocket and accidentally sat on, should spring back into form.
The specifications of the G Flex are (for the Korean model):
- Display: OLED curved 6 “resolution 720 x 1280
- CPU: 2.26 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800
- GPU: Adreno 330
- RAM: 2GB
- Main camera: 13 megapixels
- Front camera: 2.1 megapixels
- 3G 850/1900/2100
- 4G 850/1800
- Battery: 3500mAh, curved design
- OS: Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Connectivity: NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi a / b / g / n / ac, Korean TV tuner, GPS
- Memory / Memory Card: 32GB microSD card support
- Dimensions: 160.5 x 81.6 x 7.9 ~ 8.7 mm
- Weight: 177g
The specifications will most likely be slightly changed for the international version, such as a more recent version of Android and more 3G/4G supported bands. The G Flex currently sells in South Korea for 999, 900 Won, or around $1036. We’ll be keeping an eye on the launch, hopefully it will contain an Australian release announcement.
Are you keen on an LG G Flex? What do you think of it? Let us know in the comments!