C720P-header

Acer has announced that its touchscreen Chromebook, the C720P, is now available for sale in Australia at an RRP of $499.

The C720P is available in “Moonstone White”, is just 19.8mm thin and weighs in at 1.35kg. It’s got an 11.6-inch HD LED back-lit display running at 1366 x 768 resolution with 2GB RAM and is powered by an Intel Haswell processor (Celeron 2955U) which sips power, allowing for an impressive battery life – quoted at 7.5 hours. You can connect to Wifi a/b/g/n networks, and there’s a HD webcam for use with Google Hangouts. The Australian model features a 16GB SSD – a little disappointing, as we’ve seen 32GB overseas.

You’ll also get 100GB of free Google Drive storage (for two years) and may be eligible for other offers too – Google has a Goodies for your Chromebook page with a number of offers available.

It’s the first touchscreen Chromebook since Google‘s US-only Chromebook Pixel, and as such occupies a special place in Ausdroid’s hearts and minds – we’re looking forward to taking a look at it! We were pretty fond of its forebear, the C720 and previously showed you how to upgrade that model to a 128GB SSD.

Will you be buying a C720P? Let us know in the comments!

JeniSkunk
JeniSkunk

Where are the Droidbooks?
Has anyone managed to flush Chrome from a Chromebook, and put JB or KK on it?

Daniel Tyson
Reply to  JeniSkunk

Jeni – I’ve used Android laptops (Spoiler: They are absolutely AWFUL) and I’ve used almost every Chromebook out there, Chromebooks are INFINITELY more useful and are a different medium, go and use one, they really are excellent.

vijay alapati
vijay alapati

i rather buy a nexus 10 with bluetooth keyboard for less price than this

GreviousMcG
GreviousMcG

Still not convince about the benefit of chromebooks. I know its all about the web, but I rather keep my data on the hard drive (back up of course) for times where there is no WiFi or they charge you obscene about of money per hour to use it.

Daniel Tyson
Reply to  GreviousMcG

There’s a lot of mis-information. I keep a lot of my data offline on my Chromebook and with offline Office editing for files on ChromeOS there’s very little need to actually be connected these days. It has been a long time since there was a massive need for a data connection on a Chromebook.

Damien Xenos
Damien Xenos
Reply to  Daniel Tyson

Very useful to know Daniel. With offline apps and storage you have now peaked my interest. Well need to research more

mark0Z
mark0Z

With the 32GB model selling at RRP $299 (AU$333) in the US, I can’t see the merit of a paying close to $170 MORE for a downgraded version… :/

Joshua Hill
Joshua Hill
Reply to  mark0Z

The c720 (non touch screen version) had a US rrp of $199 vs. AU rrp of $399, so at least it’s a small improvement on that.

Personally I wouldn’t purchase either from a company that felt justified placing such a large Australia tax on their devices.