The latest Sony flagship – the Xperia Z2 – has been delayed somewhat since Sony’s announcement advised we should be seeing the phone launch globally in March. But it seems that it could be nearing a launch here in Australia very soon.
The Sony Xperia Z2 (actually the Z2B) has appeared on the Sony Australia website. The phone is listed with no options to pre-order, nor is there any pricing listed, there is however listings for the phone in Black and White, so it now comes down to which carrier
Spec wise the Z2B variant still has the same specs announced at Mobile World Congress, there are now official listings of the bands that the Xperia Z2 will support – sorry Optus 4G+ users, Band 40(2300MHz) is not supported. Specs are :
- 5.2- inch 1920 x 1080 (424ppi) TRILUMINOUS Display with the X-Reality mobile picture engine
- 2.3GHz Quadcore Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AC) / Adreno™ 330 GPU
- 3GB RAM.
- 16GB Internal Storage (4GB for Firmware and apps, 12GB for Movies, Music, Pictures, etc) with microSD card slot supporting up to 64GB cards (SDXC supported)
- Digital noise cancelling built into the phone and supplied ear buds (Reduces up to 98% of ambient noise)
- Water / Dust Resistant (IP55/IP58)
- Radio Bands
- UMTS HSPA+: 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- 4G LTE (Bands 1(2100MHz), 2(1900MHz), 3(1800MHz), 4(1700MHz), 5(850MHz), 7(2600MHz), 8(900MHz), 13(700c MHz), 17(700bc MHz), 20(800MHz))
- Front: 2.2MP (1080p video recording)
- Rear: 20.7MP Exmor RS image sensor, capable of 4K video recording at 30 fps
We know the phone will be launching soon, earlier this month we saw evidence that Telstra was gearing up for their launch. At the announcement, Sony advised that Telstra, Optus and Vodafone would all be stocking the phone.
It’s from one of these carriers – Optus – that we get our best idea of when the Xperia Z2 will launch. Ausdroid reader Liam, happened to be chatting with the Optus Live Chat staff about the phone and was advised that the phone would be launching on the 1st of May – yep, tomorrow.
It’s not much to go on, but Sony has been silent so far on when we’ll be seeing the phone. We’ve yet to hear back from Sony regarding the rumour, but stay tuned if you’re in the market for an Xperia Z2, tomorrow could be the day.