If you’re the owner of an HTC One (M8) in Australia, you’ve probably seen reports on US Android blogs a few weeks ago about a pending software update. It doesn’t bring the much-awaited jump to Android 4.4.3 — Google hasn’t pushed that yet — but it does bring some new features, bug fixes and other things which are kind of exciting.
I managed to capture the update notification this morning so you can see what’s in store:
For those who don’t want to load the imagery, here’s a quick list:
- General stability improvements
- Call audio performance improvement
- Addition of a new Extreme Power Saving mode
- Bluetooth and WiFi improvements and firmware updates
- Improvements to Camera Auto Focus, improved 3D effects, and a new copy and paste function
- Last, but not least, some improvements to Zoe capturing and editing
UPDATE: This update has been reported on Telstra, Optus and Vodafone as of this morning (15 May) so it looks as if we should all have the update soon. Do bear in mind that if you’ve modified your One M8 in any way, e.g. rooting, custom recovery, unlocked bootloader, installation of Xposed etc, you may have problems installing the OTA. Make sure you’re running a stock recovery, stock bootloader, and an unmodified system.
If you’ve modified these things, I’d suggest having a look on XDA Developers to find the stock files you’ll need to revert to a state suitable for updating.
Has your M8 received an update? Let us know when and on which carrier so we can share with everyone else!