Our favourite app of 2014 so far – Link Bubble – has been updated to include functionality with another favourite of ours – Android Wear. The 1.3 Link Bubble update brings the ability to view text from a link on Android Wear devices, reading text just like you would read a GMail notification.
The addition is sure to raise the eyebrows of a few users, which Chris acknowledges in his Google+ post announcing the update. What the update does is push text to Android Wear, IF and only IF it can grab the text from the links you’ve clicked. It’s not designed to be an all day reader, but if you happen to load up Link Bubble’s with links after a morning perusing Twitter, then put your phone away, your wrist can then let you see what you may have forgotten about.
There’s a lot more in there too, including improvements and Bug Fixes, as well as changes, like having to confirm tabs from a previous session can be restored. The full list of changes included in Version 1.3 is included :
• NEW: Text content from a link can be displayed on Android Wear devices (requires Pro). Links can also be opened/closed on your device via Wear.
• NEW: Link Bubble can now be ‘hidden’ via the notification. When hidden, the app will still be running, just no longer visible (thus enabling background YouTube playback or similar).
• IMPROVEMENT: Much smoother animation when web content slides on/off screen.
• IMPROVEMENT: Restore slide-in animation when the first link begins to load.
• IMPROVEMENT: Add hack to stop Pocket from displaying when you add links to it.
• IMPROVEMENT: Link Bubble is minimized when links are sent to external apps when running the L Preview.
• IMPROVEMENT: “Intercept links from” works correctly for Android 4.4 and below.
• IMPROVEMENT: Cookies are now enabled in Incognito Mode, but cleared at the end of the session.
• IMPROVEMENT: Changing the Incognito Mode setting forces open bubbles to be reloaded.
• CHANGE: Tabs from the previous session are no longer automatically restored. A prompt is now displayed requiring confirmation to restore these tabs.
• CHANGE: Periodically empty cached web data.
• CHANGE: The “Intercept links from” option has unfortunately been disabled for those running the L Preview due to the Android API required for this functionality being depreciated by Google.
• BUG FIX: Fix rare issue where no tabs would display and pressing the device’s Home button failed to close Link Bubble.
• BUG FIX: Fix issue where web content sometimes failed to slide on screen.
• BUG FIX: Fix issue where bubble favicon is not updated after the Pro trial has finished.
• BUG FIX: Fix issue where “Unable to launch 3rd party application” toast erroneously displayed.
Now, a number of features in Link Bubble are only available in the Pro version. Well, it’s still on-sale from the last time that Chris updated the app, but it won’t be for much longer. Head on over to Google Play to pick up Link Bubble free and if you like it, lay down the $2.49 for Pro.
The app was not found in the store. 🙁