Receiving 50GB of bonus Google Drive storage on top of the usual 15GB given with Google accounts is a pretty sweet deal when you purchase a new HTC phone, but today, HTC has started upping that to 100GB for owners of selected HTC phones.
In an email sent out to owners of HTC phones, Google advised that there were changes being made to their Google storage plan. It reminded owners they had activated the offer to receive the storage and were increasing the allotment to 100GB for the remainder of your offer terms – two years.
The offer hasn’t been updated on the Australian HTC Advantage website as yet, but does point to Google Support document which advises the list of eligible HTC Handsets and their current alloted Google Drive bonus space :
- New HTC One (M8) (+100GB for two years)
- HTC Desire 816, HTC Desire 610 (+100GB for two years)
- HTC One max (+100GB for two years)
- When upgrade to HTC Sense 5+ and Sense 6 becomes available on certain 2013 HTC models, including HTC One, HTC Butterfly S, HTC One Mini and HTC Desire 601. (+25GB for two years)
The offer of extra storage on these devices has to be redeemed before the 1st of January 2016. So, if you haven’t already, you should activate the offer. How do you activate it?
- Launch the preloaded Google Drive application on your device
- Press Redeem when presented with this screen
- Follow the screen prompts to complete redemption
It’s only redeemable once per handest, so it’s worth trying if you purchased a second hand model, but just be aware it may already have been redeemed. It’s also not open to anyone who has unlocked the bootloader.
Not a bad offer update from HTC, although with the falling prices of cloud storage, the question is: How long till it’s a free Terabyte of free storage?