Google-Developers
After releasing the code for Android 5.0.1 to AOSP yesterday and following up with updated factory images, Google has begun rolling out Over The Air (OTA) updates to their Nexus phones and tablets.

So far only the Nexus 7 (2013) WiFi and Nexus 10 OTA links have been captured, but we’re sure to see the rest in short order. We’ll be updating as the updates appear, so be sure to check back often.

Instructions for side-loading the OTA update to your Nexus device using ADB :

ADB Sideload

1. Download and install the Android SDK – or have ADB executable/binary file available. You can download the Android SDK here. This is especially important with some users getting issues with older Fastboot versions
  2. Turn on USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging.
  3. Connect the phone to your PC through USB and make sure it’s connected. Easiest way to test it’s working is by running the command ‘adb devices’ if it’s connected you’ll see the serial # of the device followed by Device – Something like : ‘022c732d8a4cca82 device’
  4. Download the update.zip from Google from the links below to your PC for your particular Nexus. Rename the downloaded file to something easy to type – we recommend update.zip.
  5. Move the zip file into your ‘Platform-Tools’ folder (or, remember its full path for later).
  6. Enter the command ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and your phone will reboot into the bootloader.
  7. Press the Volume buttons on your device until you see ‘Recovery’ and use the Power button to select.
  8. Next your device will boot to a screen with an Android logo with an exclamation mark on it.
  9. Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to get into stock recovery.
  10. Using the volume buttons, scroll to ‘apply update from ADB’ and then press the Power button to choose it.
  11. On your PC in the command prompt window, type ‘adb sideload update.zip’ (if you didn’t move the file, use its full path instead).
  12. If everything goes according to plan, you should see the file transfer across and your device will start to update.
  13. Once that finishes, your device will begin to update.
  14. That should be it, once it completes you should be able to reboot and go from there.
Michael
Michael

I received my Nexus 5 yesterday (wasn’t purchased from Telstra, Build No: KTU84P), I haven’t put any sim in it yet, As I haven’t cut my old regular sim into the micro sim yet, and I still haven’t received the 5.0 update, Still running 4.4.4

AdamM
AdamM

The 5.0.1 update arrived OTA this morning for my Nexus 5. Anyone else got it yet? Hoping it improves the performance and battery life, both of which had deteriorated with 5.0.

Shano
Shano
Reply to  AdamM

Yep got it too, but didn’t notice any difference with performance or Batt life on 5.0

geoff fieldew

Save yourself the trouble of looking 3G/LTE Nexus 7 updates. I don’t bother anymore. It only leads to frustration.

tom
tom

Still havent seen android 5.0 on my nexus 7 (2013) …. has anyone else got it ?

NexusUser
NexusUser

My Netflix via Getflix has had sound stuttering in Lollipop 5 – on two different Nexus7 tablets. Hopefully this will fix it… will advise in about 10 minutes.

NexusUser
NexusUser
Reply to  NexusUser

And the verdict is: fail. Still stutters.

Might have to do a full factory reset.

NexusUser
NexusUser
Reply to  NexusUser

Bah. After factory reset now says “Please make sure that your device has network connectivity and the Date and Time settuings are accurate. (-3)”. Tried changing Timezone to US/EST and also no go. Will raise with GetFlix.

chris
chris
Reply to  NexusUser

share your result please, I am seeing the same thing.

NexusUser
NexusUser
Reply to  chris

I have raised the issue with GetFlix but they are yet to try Android Lollipop – so cannot resolve my issue right now. So I cannot use my Nexus 7 tables at all to watch NetFlix. What is your configuration and do you use GetFlix or someone else?

chris
chris
Reply to  NexusUser

Getlfix with nexus 5 running 5.0. I did get it working for a moment, went past the login to the profile selection then list of videos available, didn’t do anything past that.
next time I tried it kept on saying there was an issue and now it won’t log in with the same error you are seeing. A number of people have the same issue.

NexusUser
NexusUser
Reply to  chris

Get them all to contact GetFlix support so they know it’s a widespread issue! The more that contact the better and they might do something about it (I raised the issue with them over a week ago)

chris
chris
Reply to  NexusUser

They answered me. The latest version has googles DNS server embedded so it ignores getflix DNS servers.
Downgrade your Netflix version to 3.7.1 and it is OK.
r.1ve1 dot net/153DP/vBxTzpve

chris
chris
Reply to  NexusUser

As a test I just used Tunnel Bear to connect in, no problem with it so it is Getflix related.

disqus_yvqEklxVXx
disqus_yvqEklxVXx

Mu nexus 5 has still not got 5.0! Keep checking but nothing. My nexus 7 (2012) was updated to 5.0 pretty quickly…

Damon Lewis
Damon Lewis
Reply to  disqus_yvqEklxVXx

You don’t want 5.0 on your Nexus 5, unless you want really slow performance after a while and a battery that is even worse!

chris
chris
Reply to  Damon Lewis

I have found Facebook is really bad but most else is ok. Battery life is better after a few days, the first boot just about eats your battery.
it isn’t always Google at fault, the apps if not fully compatible can cause a lot of problems. I am however looking forward to the first patch release of 5.

Derryn Jones
Reply to  Damon Lewis

I found that when I did a full factory image restore, everything is perfect. I always prefer a full install anyway – updates always cause issues.

nevetsg
nevetsg
Reply to  Damon Lewis

I have no issues. I did a factory reset, am rooted and have greenify putting all of the dodgy apps to sleep. Battery life is back to new phone levels.

disqus_yvqEklxVXx