Transport for NSW along with the Minister for Transport, Gladys Berejiklian, has today announced their will be 2 new Opal apps which will help give you both information regarding modes of transport, as well as an estimated Opal card fare pricing all from each of the 2 apps.
The 2 apps, Opal Travel & Opal Fares, do slightly differ from the information they provide, but when put together, they are quite a handy when trying to work out Opal fares either during 1 or modes of transport.
So lets have a look at the 2 apps separately as they are somewhat similar but with some differences placed within each app.
Opal Travel app
The Opal Travel appworks the same way as the transportnsw.info Trip planner website currently does. You can enter a starting location and destination, specify travel times and dates, and search results will display trip options as well as the estimated Opal fare.
According to the Google Play description, the app features include :
- Shows you how long you have until your service departs
- Shows peak or discounted off-peak train fares depending on the time of travel
- Includes fare estimates for adult, child/youth and senior/pensioner cards
- Shows alerts or disruptions that may impact your travel
- Indicates the wheelchair accessibility of trips
- Helps you to quickly find a nearby Opal retailer so you can top-up your card.
Opal Fares app
The Opal Fares app allows you to build an Opal journey to get an Opal fare estimate before you travel. This mainly helps trying to guess how much you may be charged before even boarding you service. Transport for NSW has stated that this app is best for customers who already know which train, bus, ferry or light rail service to catch but want to know how much it will cost with Opal.
The Opal Fares app offers :
- The quickest way to get Opal fares estimates
- Enter each tap on and tap off location to get your fare
- Select peak or discounted off-peak travel (train only)
- Select Adult, Child/youth and Senior/pensioner fares
- Use History to see journeys you’ve built
These newest apps can be used in conjunction with approved Transport for NSW apps, such as TripView Sydney (both lite & paid versions), Arrive Sydney, TransitTimes Trip Planner & TripGo: transit directions.
Both Opal Travel and Opal Fares apps are available to download for free from Google Play. Some important things to remember with the Opal Card system which you can view here via the Opal Website. You can also find out how to apply for an Opal Card by clicking here.