Normally when you’re out and about away from home, Facebook would normally be considered the last place to keep up to date and find big events right? Well Facebook wants to change that.
Introduced in January on the desktop, Facebook has begun rolling out Trends to their mobile apps this week. The ‘Trending’ feature lets you follow conversations in five different sections:
- Articles shows you how news organizations are covering the story.
- In the Story shows you posts from people who are part of the story.
- Friends and Groups shows you what people in your network are saying.
- Near the Scene shows you posts from people near where the story is unfolding.
- Live Feed shows you a real-time stream of reactions from people around the world.
Trending sort of acts like a Twitter-like live feed that enable you to see reactions as they trickle in about hot topics, though the best feature would be that you also have the ability to limit your reading of the live feed to people nearby, those who were directly involved or news articles or your friends.
Facebook has released a video explaining the new feature which you can watch below:
The new Trending experience has begun rolling out already, and will be available initially in the US, but to other countries shortly. We’ll let you know when we start seeing the feature in the Facebook mobile app here in Australia.
When it finally arrives in Australia, would you consider using this new feature or do you find other apps like Twitter better for this type of live feed news/event information?