If you were wondering where the Walkman name had gone, Sony’s got an answer for you at this year’s CES.
Continuing the company’s push into high resolution audio, the ZX2 is built from an aluminium alloy frame and gold-plated copperplate for enhanced grounding. It’s got 128GB of storage built in and a Micro SD slot.
The ZX2 shares more in common with Sony’s other audio products than it does the company’s Xperia smartphone range – it doesn’t follow the phones in terms of design. There’s no “bigger is better” trend, with a simple 4-inch non-HD screen running the show. There’s an oversized headphone jack on the bottom left of the device (sharing space on that edge with what looks like a full size USB – or some proprietary – port and an SD slot), and the main controls are down the right. The aluminium alloy frame is textured, giving the ZX2 a more rugged look. It should be pretty easy to grip, too.
Android is running the show, but it’s Android 4.2. While it’s nice to see Sony pushing out some Android devices that aren’t phones or tablets, it’d be good to see a newest OS version powering the device, especially given the advancements made in Bluetooth and audio playback in more recent versions of the OS. Something tells me that this probably won’t be updated in line with the company’s ambitious upgrade schedule for its Z series smartphones and tablets. Whatever happened to all the talk of “One Sony”?
You want specs? We got specs:
- Memory capacity 128 GB
- External memory microSD (card not included)
- Key features High-Resolution Audio playback, S-Master HX Digital Amplifier, DSEE HX (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine), ClearAudio+, Clear Bass, Equaliser, VPT, one-touch listening via NFC and Bluetooth® connectivity
- Compatible audio formats MP3, WMA1, FLAC (192KHz/24bit), Linear PCM (192KHz/24bit), WAV (192KHz/24bit), AAC-LC2, HE-AAC, Apple Lossless (192KHz/24bit), AIFF (192KHz/24bit), DSD (2.8MHz, 5.6MHz)*1: Copyright protected WMA files cannot be played back.*2: Copyright protected AAC-LC files cannot be played back
- Battery life MP3 up to 60 hours**(MP3 128kbps), Hi-Res Audio 33 hrs**(FLAC 192kHz/24bit)
- Charging time Approximately 4.5 hours
- Operating platform Android™ 4.2
- Display 4.0 inch FWVGA (854×480) TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile
- Communication mode Wi-Fi® (IEEE 802.11b/g/n/a)
- Bluetooth® Bluetooth® (A2DP/AVRCP/OPP/HID/SPP)Supported Codec: SBC/LDAC
- NFC Yes
- Included applications Media Go (for Windows), Content Transfer for Mac (for Mac OS)
- Dimensions 65.1×131.2×18.5 mm (WxHxD, excluding max. protruding section)
- Mass Weight: Approx. 235 g
- Accessories USB cable, leather carrying case, spacer (headphones not included)
Sony’s bringing the ZX2 to market – presumably in the US first – in “Spring 2015”. That’s March through to May if you speak Australian. There’s a whopping great US $1119.99 price tag attached as well.
What do you think of the ZX2? Are you in the market for a high-end, high-res Walkman audio player? Tell us in the comments!