Virgin Mobile wants you to stop losing your data caps. In what they’re saying is an Australian Telco first, Virgin Mobile last week announced new changes to their mobile plans which will allow post-paid mobile customers the ability to rollover unused data from one month to the next.
You’ve obviously paid for your data and Virgin wants you to keep it. The feature has been an oft requested on from Virgin Mobile customers apparently, which lead to Virgin Mobile listening to their customers and announcing what we think is a pretty good deal. Virgin Mobile did a survey of 1000 customers and found some interesting statistics.
- 94 per cent of Australians think it’s unfair that something they have paid for is taken away with no second chance to use it.
- 95 per cent wish they could hold onto their unused data.
- 93 per cent said that having the ability to rollover data would be of value to them.
- Almost a quarter of Aussie smartphone users (22 per cent) are dissatisfied with their current data usage plan.
- The cost of additional data or breaking data limits had the highest rate of dissatisfaction for Aussie smartphone users (40 per cent).
- Getting value for money when it comes to data is the number one thing that would make Aussie smartphone users consider switching their mobile plan or provider (52 per cent).
- When it comes to the most important aspects of a mobile phone plan:
- 99% of Aussie smartphone users say it’s value for money;
- 94% say it’s flexibility in included data;
- 94% say it’s the amount of data included in their plan.
The meat of the new announcement is that any data you don’t use from now on, is rolled over into next month, that data is then used first before you start cutting into the current months data cap, which will roll over into the next month, and so on, and so forth. If you don’t use all the data from the previous month, your current months data will roll over but you will lose that accrued data cap from the previous month. Virgin Mobile explain it like this :
Virgin Mobile CEO, David Scribner, sees the value in ‘rescuing’ the data which is lost each month, advising :
Data Rollover will revolutionise how Australians view their telco’s data offering and will change the mobile industry for good. People are hungry for data and it’s not fair that something they’ve paid for is snatched away after a month – they should get another chance to use it. I’m proud to say that we are the only telco rescuing people’s data.
Virgin has a number of great plans, with a few of the higher end ones offering additional data at the moment. To read up on the Virgin Mobile Data rollover offer, head over to the Virgin Mobile website and read all about it.