amaysim-logo

Amaysim today launched new plans and pricing as it moves to use Optus’ 4G network, including its recent 700Mhz 4G Plus additions.

It seems that the “Unlimited” parts of the new plan names refers to text messages, as each plan has different limits on data and voice calls. Data inclusion is quite generous compared to other prepaid and even on-contract plans offered by their competitors, something we’ve been wanting to see for a while on 4G.

• UNLIMITED 6GB has 6GB of data, unlimited standard talk and text in Australia. It’s $54.90 per month.
  • UNLIMITED 4GB has 4GB of data, unlimited standard talk and text in Australia and is $44.90 per month.
  • UNLIMITED TEXT 1.5GB includes – you guessed it – 1.5GB of data and unlimited standard text. It gets you 500 minutes of standard voice calls (but unlimited Amaysim-to-Amaysim calls) for $29.90 a month.

If you’re on Amaysim’s existing Unlimited plan you don’t have to change anything, but it looks like you’ll remain on 3G unless you move to one of the new plans. Amaysim’s other top-ups, As You Go and Flexi, will become 4G-enabled and differ slightly on call and text rates.

Want a handy chart showing the details of the new plans? They were kind enough to send one over!

amaysim-new-plans

There’s also some changes coming to data packs, with a 1GB data pack coming for $9.90 with 30 days expiry no matter when in the month it’s applied and a 300MB pack on its way for $4.90. It seems those changes aren’t quite ready to roll yet, with the 1GB add-on due to be available in the coming month and the 300MB add-on “soon”.

What do you think of Amaysim’s new plans? Tell us in the comments!

Simon Adam
Simon Adam

not sure how helpfull it is
but amaysim only has access to 700MHz LTE up here in Townsville, North Queensland
my OnePlus One doesnt support 700MHz so no 4G for me

sucks it doesnt mention this untill you pay for it and cant work out why you dont have 4G access
amaysim nice enough to give me next months access free so i cant complain too much
still get 8-10mb download on 3G so ill get by

ButterButter
ButterButter

The 4G plans are KB rounded sessions. 3G plans are MB rounded sessions. I expect my current $44.90 3G unlimited plan with 5gigs data to really work out to the same as the 4G $44.90 with 4 gig data due to this rounding up with megabyte rounded sessions that steals data on 3G. I’ll make the switch to 4G and pay the same.

Bids
Bids

Vaya still trumps this 18 for 600 worth of calls. 1.5gb of data unlimited text. Extra gb of data is $7. 4g always included

Houdeani
Houdeani

also consider Vaya , is already optus 4G with cheaper plans

dar
dar
Reply to  Houdeani

Vaya is cheap yes. But there’s a $20 “deposit” fee which you get back when you leave on top of the initial fees of signing up. They have some of the worst customer support ever. Data usage is per Mb. A once off additional fee gets them to count per kb. My first month with them they said I used 2Gb without any warning about me almost reaching my limit. I was very upset with them and called to ask why and they basically just shrugged me off. At the end of the month they “corrected” themselves and apparently I… Read more »

dar
dar
Reply to  dar

jeenee. I always get their name wrong. If you want to save money indeed Vaya is probably the cheapest around with 4G. just be careful with the fine print is all.

kungfutigerr
kungfutigerr
Reply to  dar

Over a thousand pages of complaints and discussion about Vaya over on Whirlpool. When I left, they wouldn’t stop charging me for months, and then demanded that I prove that I had actually left. With Spintel now – not a problem, and KB billing.

Houdeani
Houdeani
Reply to  dar

sounds like you had some bad luck. I have been with vaya for about half a year now with zero problems and have been pretty happy with it all. My girlfriend has been with them for a bit longer and did go over the data the first month and they gave her a discount on it. I know they used to charge per Mb but now i think it has changed, not sure though. Also i just got another sim card off them, ‘month-to-month’ and the sim card was for free. and yeah, you get the initial $20 back. So… Read more »

JT...
JT...

Hey!! No fair pushing the price up on PAYG data from 5c p/mb to 7.2c p/m…. If one has a PAYG sim then one is trying to keeps costs down, thus are more than likely will not be streaming media content (the main selling point/reason for 4g). 3g is perfectly capable of doing web browsing and email/messaging.
baa humbug 🙁

JT...
JT...
Reply to  JT...

Seems like their website is working correctly as no date showing for when they auto change the plans.
“Your current plan will automatically become 4G-enabled by .”

toast
toast
Reply to  JT...

“when your current plan expires” is what my text message says. I assume that’s at the next billing.

craigo

$72 / Gb excess. Too risky for me. Been burnt before. I’ll stick to prepay thanks.

GrKTcB
GrKTcB
Reply to  craigo

You can choose between postpaid or prepaid on Amaysim upon sign up.

craigo
Reply to  GrKTcB

Really? I don’t see that anywhere on their website. The only thing that comes close is the FLEXI, but even that would just blow your credit once you go past 500MB.

GrKTcB
GrKTcB
Reply to  craigo

Amaysim have always had the option of choosing postpaid or prepaid. Just go to the main page and pop your mouse over “Mobile Plans” the first thing on the drop down menu says “Postpaid or Prepaid plans”. Further information can be found at, Home » Help & Support » Getting started » What is the difference between Postpaid and Prepaid? Whatever amaysim plan you’re on, you can choose to pay upfront (we call this ‘Prepaid’) or receive a bill after your monthly use (we call this ‘Postpaid’). The same great rates apply no matter which option you choose. Hope this… Read more »

craigo
Reply to  GrKTcB

Ah, right, thanks, I see it now. Not exactly the prepaid I had in mind. I tend to stay away from anything that can give me bill shock. Thanks for the follow up though. Cheers.

GrKTcB
GrKTcB
Reply to  craigo

There is no bill shock. It’s as prepaid as it gets. When a limit such as data is reached, it’ll simply stop working until you choose to recharge again. The excess charges you see on their website are purely for postpaid and do not apply to prepaid.

Cheers

craigo
Reply to  GrKTcB

Oh, cool! That’s exactly what I’m after! Thank you!!! Will look into switching over. Cheers.

vijay alapati
vijay alapati

i hope they will reduce the prices of current 3g plans, so i can jump from lyca mobile which is $20 unlimited 🙂

craigo
Reply to  vijay alapati

Wow! Lycra is cheap! Is there any catch? I’m currently paying double that and getting half the data allowance with Boost.

craigo
Reply to  craigo

Found the catch. All data is routed through their servers in the UK, so it’s rather slow.

toast
toast

Yeah, I just went through the rigamarole to switch. It activates on the next bill.
You lose a gig… 5GB down to 4… in the switch. Not happy, but I can live with it

Simon Adam
Simon Adam
Reply to  toast

Sweet
Finally gonna get me some 4G action
Finally be able to see what my oneplus one can do

Michael Petkov
Michael Petkov
Reply to  Simon Adam

Yeah I’ve got One plus one too, however I don’t like the idea of losing 1 GB of days allowance per month for 4 G speeds! So still I’m stuck on 3g.

Simon Adam
Simon Adam
Reply to  Michael Petkov

I’m happy to pay $10 more for a extra 1gb of data and 4G speeds
My account doesn’t refresh till the 11th April so it doesn’t upgrade till then

kungfutigerr
kungfutigerr
Reply to  toast

But the new 4G plans use KB billing vs MB billing on the old plans. So in actual use – you will get more data on the new plans, even though you’re “losing” 1GB.

Imagine a shop that charges 20c per orange, and a shop that charges 20c per orange – but they round this up to $1. Which shop would you prefer to buy from?