Australian developer Chris Lacy has this morning released an update to Action Launcher, his launcher replacement bringing with it a number of new features, fixes and changes.
Perhaps the most interesting new feature is the new open-source live wallpaper API which integrates with the automatic theming in Action Launcher. Previously when adding a new wallpaper, your search bar, folder backgrounds and more changed colour to match, but now it works with Live Wallpapers thanks to an API that Chris has developed to make sure that the themes match the wallpaper colours. The API is available to check out on GitHub right now, so as Chris suggests, get your favourite Live Wallpaper developers to check it out.
There’s a bunch of new features such as new gesture and shortcuts such as single/double/triple tap on Home or Empty space to perform actions such as launching an app, toggle a setting and more. There’s also a new feature which allows you to import Action Launcher 3 layouts in other launchers.
Full Change log:
• NEW: Live wallpaper API support, enabling Quicktheme to reliably work with live wallpaper apps. For an example of this in action, check out the excellent Minima Pro.
• NEW: Shortcuts & gestures (Settings -> Shortcuts) both expanded and fully customizable. Gestures supported include: single/double/triple tap Home button; double/triple tap empty space; swipe up single/two fingers; swipe down single/two fingers; swipe left screen edge/swipe leftmost Home screen/swipe right screen edge/swipe rightmost Home screen; and pinch in/out.
• NEW: Ability to configure action taken by a gesture. Actions include load an app, load a shortcut, toggle All Apps, toggle Quickdrawer, toggle Quickpage, open Action 3 settings, display overview mode, lock/unlock desktop, lock device, open recents, open notifications, open text search and open voice search.
• NEW: When searching, use Google search box overlay instead of switching into the Google app. Can be changed via Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global search mode.
• NEW: As requested, an additional Donate option has been added for people who are so inclined (Settings -> Help -> Donate).
• NEW: Animate to/from the All Apps background color when opening/closing All Apps (requires Android 5.0 or later).
• NEW: Home screen indicators updated to match Android 5.1’s style.
• NEW: Allow importing of Action 3 layouts by other launchers. Thanks Kevin from Nova for the prod here.
• IMPROVEMENT: Gesture detection works over icons as well as empty space.
• IMPROVEMENT: Shortcuts to open notification panel works on Samsung devices running Android 5.x (requires granting access to the Accessibility system unfortunately).
• IMPROVEMENT: Size and positioning of Google search widget perfectly matches with the Google app on tablets.
• IMPROVEMENT: “Remove Shutter” option is available both when picking up and putting down a Shutter and from the overflow menu.
• CHANGE: No longer default to opening Google Now when swiping right on leftmost Home screen. This option can be configured via Settings -> Shortcuts -> Leftmost Home screen -> App -> Google.
• CHANGE: Increase default double/triple tap delay to 275 milliseconds.
• FIX: Use light touch effect when Up button is pressed in Settings.
• FIX: If a Shutter/folder is open on the Quickpage, don’t close Shutter/folder and Quickpage with the same swipe gesture.
• FIX: Fix behavior oddities when changing settings via the “Action 3 Settings” All Apps item.
• FIX: Misc. stability fixes.
Chris takes you through the an overview of the new features in Action Launcher 3.3 in this video:
You can download Action Launcher from Google Play right now, it’s free to download and install, but you’ll need to purchase some of the more powerful features via an in-app purchase of $5.99.