When Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens rolls into cinemas here in Australia in December this year, you want to be ready for it. All the news, the trailers and more for the new film can now be found in a nifty new app from Disney simply called Star Wars.
The app is ‘your official mobile connection to a galaxy far, far away’ bringing you ‘breaking news, rich media, social updates, special events, and interactive features’. The app sounds great, but it’s unfortunately only been released in the US .
As far as features go, the app sounds like every Star Wars fans dream come true, with a massive list of features to keep you going in the five months till you can get your next Force fix.
- Get instant notifications on big announcements, including trailer releases and movie news
- Theme your app with Light Side, Dark Side, or Droid interfaces, each containing different designs, sounds, and animations
- Unlock 3D characters from Star Wars: The Force Awakens using a special Augmented Reality camera feature
- Take and share a Star Wars “selfie” in various iconic costumes and settings, including Jedi, Princess Leia (with hair buns), Han Solo’s carbon freeze, and more
- Get Star Wars-themed weather and five-day forecasts, featuring original art and parallax effects of in-universe planets and locales
- Wield a lightsaber and hone your skills against a training remote, as seen in Star Wars: A New Hope
- Share animated GIFs with your friends and family of memorable scenes and characters from the Star Wars movies and TV shows, including Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars Rebels
- Discover behind-the-scenes fun facts with This Day In Star Wars History
- Play classic sound clips and sound effects from your favorite Star Wars characters, creatures, weapons, vehicles, and scenes
- Get quick updates with a snapshot news ticker
- Count down to major releases like Star Wars: The Force Awakens with an always-running timer
- Sign up for Star Wars ID and join the growing Star Wars fan community; choose an avatar, create your own handle, and build a connected profile
- Read official Star Wars news and blogs from StarWars.com, as well as app-exclusive content, including the latest on Star Wars: The Force Awakens, creator interviews, and more
- Follow official Star Wars social channels via aggregated, customizable feeds from Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Tumblr, Google+, and Twitter
- Watch official Star Wars videos, including movie trailers, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and more
- Discover the latest Star Wars digital apps, products and experiences from one central hub
Of course the app is simply a great marketing tool to drum up business for the upcoming film, but for me and many other fanboys this will be a great way to keep up to date.
Now. As we said, it’s US-Only, but we grabbed the APK and you can download it here:
Update: There is an issue with downloading further content once you install the app. We’re looking at ways to get around this now.
Disney has said that they plan to update the app, so look out for push notifications when they do.