Owners of Sony’s Xperia Z2 and Z3 line of devices, including the Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact, Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact, Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet will begin receiving their Android 5.1 update as of today Sony has announced.
The update to Android 5.1 is of course carrier dependent if you purchased your handset from one of the telcos here in Australia, but retail units should begin to see the update soon. So what’s in the update? Sony has listed off a number of the features you should see in the update, which include:
- Increased customisation options – so you have even more control over the way volume, silent modes and your alerts function
- Brand new LinkedIn integration – be more productive with intuitive contact synchronisation in your Calendar
- Camera improvements – with faster, more accurate Superior Auto Mode focus for great images, regardless of conditions
- Enhanced enterprise support – with our latest Xperia in Business features for work
- SmartWear integration – selfie snapping made that bit easier, with SmartWatch 3 as a remote shutter button
In terms of local availability, Australian carriers Vodafone and Telstra both list the Android 5.1 update for the Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z3 (including the Compact) as ‘In Testing’, however Optus hasn’t updated their page to reflect any testing on the update.
Telstra has a bonus for Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z1 Compact owners however, with a note on their page looking like the Android 5.1 update is being tested for them, with an estimated deployment date of the 10th of August, though according to a note users will first need the Android 5.0 update which will be pushed out first.
We’ll watch this one with interest, and hope to see some movement on handsets here in Australia in the near future.