If you’re just catching up on the announcements last night, Google has announced two new Chromecasts – one to replace the current model, and a new Audio model to make your speakers smart. As well as hardware, Google also announced some new features for the Chromecast which will be available in the app. The update has hit Google Play and you can grab it now.
The ‘What’s New’ section lists all the new features including the ‘What’s On’ which shows all the apps you have installed that have Chromecast compatibility, as well as the new social Backdrop feature that can be configured to show content from Facebook, 500px and even Flickr. There’s also some great deep linking work there for partners and you can search multiple video sources to find your favourite tv shows and movies.
The complete changelog includes:
• What’s On: Browse popular and featured content from your favorite cast-enabled apps.
• Devices: Personalize backdrop with Facebook and Flickr photo albums and control (play, pause & change volume) all your Chromecast devices.
• Get Apps: Discover new offers and cast-enabled apps from content partners, through our curated and merchandised experience.
• Search: Find where you can cast your favorite movies and TV shows.
• Support for:
• All new Chromecast devices
• Android M