At their event in San Francisco, Google has unwrwapped their first of two Nexus phones, the Nexus 6P. As rumoured, the phone is being manufactured by partner Huawei and comes with a metal Aluminium body, with ‘Nexus Imprint’ their fingerprint sensor on the rear.
The Nexus 6P will be available in 3 colours – Frost White, Aluminium and Graphite with the aluminium metal body featuring diamond cut edges.
Nexus Imprint fingerprint sensor on the rear which Google says allows the finger to rest comfortably and naturally, the Nexus Imprint sensor is fast, with registration taking only a few seconds and recognition happens in less than 600ms and allows you to one-touch wake and login. Nexus Imprint will be to tap into apps, for banking, commerce and more, with Google working with a number of partners.
Google has worked on the Nexus 6P camera, incorporating a 1.55μm 12.3MP sensor for better low-light performance. The phone will also feature an 8MP front-facing camera which will support HDR+. The camera on the Nexus 6P will support 4K video, Slow motion video and Smart Burst – which takes a load of pictures quickly with an animated gif type setup and then allows you to pick the best one. The Nexus 6P will also allow you to double-tap the power button to launch the camera.
Hardware wise, the phone has a great set of hardware :
- 5.7″ QHD (2560×1440) resolution AMOLED Screen in a 5.5″ body – Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4
- 64bit 2.0 GHz Octa-core Snapdragon 810 v2.1 processor with Adreno 430 GPU
- 3GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB models
- 12.3MP Rear camera with 1.55μm sensor with f/2.0 aperture and IR Auto-Focus
- 8MP Front Facing camera with HDR+ with f/2.4 aperture
- RGB LED notification light
- Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO, dual-band (2.4 GHz, 5.0 GHz)
- Bluetooth 4.2
- GPS, GLONASS
- Digital compass
- Cat 6 LTE (Nano SIM slot)
- GSM/EDGE(2G): 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- UMTS/WCDMA(3G): B1/2/4/5/6/8/9/19
- LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/17/19/20/28
- LTE (TDD): B38/B39/40/41
- Dual Band Carrier Aggregation:
B1-B5, B1-B8, B1-B19, B3-B3, B3-B5, B3-B7, B3-B8, B3-B19, B3-B20, B3-B28, B5-B7, B7-B7, B7-B20, B7-B28, B39-B39, B40-B40, B41-B41
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light sensor
- Hall sensor
- Android Sensor Hub
- Nexus Imprint (Fingerprint sensor) wakes up and logs in in one touch.
- USB-C connector
- 3,540mAh battery
- Stereo Forward-Facing speakers
- Android 6.0 – Marshmallow. Latest software directly from Google.
The Nexus 6P will be available in a range of countries – that aren’t Australia for pre-order today. More countries, including Australia will get access to the phone in the coming weeks. In the US, the phone will start at USD$499 for the 32GB model, $549 for 64GB model and $649 for the 128GB model. We have seen unofficial Australian pricing for the 6P which starts at $899 for the 32GB model, $999 for the 64GB model and $1099 for the 128GB model.
Update: We’ve now seen on the Google Store that Google has listed starting from $899 – those leaked prices are looking solid.