Swiss luxury watch maker TAG Heuer has today unveiled their first smartwatch at an event in New York in partnership with Google and Intel, unveiling the TAG Heuer Connected smartwatch running Android Wear.
The watch is a marriage of Swiss design and Silicon Valley smarts, with a titanium case and classic Swiss styling. The watch has a high-resolution, transflective sapphire glass display making it easy to read even in bright sun. The TAG Heuer Connected watch comes with a signature strap in a choice of seven colours and will retail for $2000AUD.
Adding to the Swiss watch heritage is a claim that the watch is accurate to 1/100th of a second.
The watch is powered by Android Wear and comes with all the features that Android Wear has to offer. The watch also comes pre-loaded with ‘a bunch of TAG Heuer dials or watch faces, so you can make this look like a normal TAG watch.’ These TAG watch faces will be able to be personalised so you can view weather, step count, or calories on the screen.
- Titanium Grade 2 case including:
- Horizontal and vertical fine-brushed titanium lugs
- 3D-raised and fine-brushed numerals
- “TAG Heuer Connected“ lettering engraved with silver lacquer
- Black, sandblasted, carbide-coated titanium bezel with anti-fingerprint coating
- Titanium single push-button with black, carbide-coated line fine-brushed and raised with TAG Heuer shield
- IP67 splash-proof water resistance
- Diameter: 46 mm
- Thickness: 12.8 mm
- Weight: 52 gm
- Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- 1.5in fully circular transflective LTPS LCD display
- Touch on Display supporting multiple finger recognition
- Screen resolution: 360×360, 240ppi
- Weight: 29 gm
- Vulcanized rubber strap with grade 2 titanium folding clasp and safety push-buttons.
- Seven Strap colors: green, blue, orange, red, white, black, yellow.
- 1.6GHz dual core processor (500mHz normal operation speed)
- 1GB RAM
- 4GB storage memory
- 410mAh battery (minimum 25 hours battery life, based on typical usage)
- Charger: Conductive charging cradle with USB cable and wall plug
- Sensors: Gyroscope, tilt detection sensor, microphone, haptic engine
- Connectivity: Bluetooth BLE 4.1 – WLAN 2.4 GHz 802.11 B/G/N
- Compatibility: Android 4.3+ / iOS 8.2+
The TAG Heuer Connected watch comes with a two-year warranty. At the press conference they spoke about swapping the watch at the end of two-years for a mechanical TAG Heuer Carrera watch if you pay US$1500 – bringing the concept of an updated watch. We’ll update with more information about this down the track.
Availability wise, the TAG Heuer website is showing the watch at $2,000AUD and their FAQ advises that you can ‘purchase your TAG Heuer Connected with a black band online in select countries’. We’ll be checking on this in a little more detail with TAG PR.