While Motorola Moto E Gen 2 owners look on enviously, it looks like Moto X Style owners will be getting a tasty treat soon with David Schuster, Senior Director, SW Product Management, Motorola Mobility announcing on Google+ that Marshmallow is now rolling out for the Moto X Style in India. While the India clarification isn’t Australia, we’ve been advised by Motorola Australia previously that our software updates roll out on the same schedule.
The update has also been announced for the Brazilian retail model of the Moto X Gen 2, so we should see something on Australian Moto X Gen 2 shortly. The update includes all the Android 6.0 goodness you’ve come to expect, including:
- A new Memory Manager that lets you check memory usage of all your installed apps
- Volume controls have been greatly improved
- Do not disturb button has been added to the quick settings panel for easy access.
- System UI Tuner will appear in the settings menu at the very bottom once enabled. It provides a few simple UI tweaks.
- Google Now on Tap allows contextual information to be delivered based on content on your screen with a long press of the home key.
- Doze is a battery management feature that detects when your device is not in use and it will automatically go into a deep sleep state which saves your battery.
- App Standby reduces battery drain by putting seldom-used apps into a reduced activity state.
- Expandable Storage support allows for microSD cards to be used either in a portable storage or an internal storage mode. Portable storage allows your pictures, videos, audio and other media files to be stored. Internal storage allows both media storage along with apps and games but can not be used by other devices.
- RAM manager in settings which allows a consumer to view memory used by the system or an individual app over different time frames
- Automatic App backup not only backs up your apps but their associated data so when restored they will be the same as they were before
- Text selection has been improved
Motorola has more information on the updates on their support website.
The Moto X Style is only available through Vodafone Australia, but so far according to the Vodafone software update blog published yesterday, the update isn’t yet in testing. We’ve approached Motorola Australia and Vodafone for an update on when owners will see the update.