At CES today, Sony unveiled a new series of UHD HDR TV’s with Google’s Android TV platform running. This is Sony’s second generation of Android TV units, and the new series will be available in two series in a range of sizes from early 2016.
The higher end XBR-X930D series will be available in 55″ and 65″, while the highest end XBR-X940D will come in a massive 75″ option. The more budget XBR-X850D series will be available in 55″, 65″ and 75″ as well. All new models will include the famous Sony TRILUMINOS Display, in gorgeous 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) which gives higher brightness, higher contrast and more vibrant colors, resulting in more depth and detail than ever before says Sony.
XBR-X930D Series 4K HDR LCD TV (55″ and 65″ Class models) and XBR-X940D (75″ Class model)
Available in early 2016
- HDR compatibility to receive and process the new video standard signal with higher brightness, higher contrast and more vibrant colors.
- X-tended Dynamic Range PRO to produce ideal contrast, enhancing HDR and non-HDR content by boosting and dimming the backlight levels precisely for each zone of the screen with unique backlighting algorithm.
- New Slim Backlight Drive technology, which uses a unique grid array local dimming backlighting structure to distribute the backlight source more precisely to each specific zone of the screen while maintaining a slim display. (X930D only, the X940D is built in with slim full-array direct backlit LED.)
- Brilliant, expanded color with TRILUMINOS Display, further enhanced for color accuracy.
- 4K Processor X1 to improve color accuracy, contrast and clarity of HD, 4K and 4K HDR video.
- Supports Google’s Android TV operating system, making it easy to stream video, functions as a gaming device and providing enhanced features. Google Cast will provide users with greater connectivity than ever before by enabling them to cast content from mobile devices.
- Voice Search and Voice Command available through a remote equipped with a microphone. With access to Google Play, consumers can enjoy what they like to do on a smartphone or tablet, from their television.
- Sony’s exclusive Content Bar allows customers to access content quickly and intuitively without disturbing while watching TV by enhancing and shortening content direct access.
- Features an ultra-thin design that creates an expansive, borderless picture and mounts flush to a wall. When hung against a wall the television is so close, and the bezel is so thin, that it can appear to be flush with the wall.
- When the television is set on a TV stand or a cabinet its clean cable management keeps wires out of view and looks equally elegant when viewed from the back or front.
4K X-Reality PRO brings stunning detail using a unique algorithm from a reality creation database for TV broadcasting, DVD, Blu-ray Disc, Internet video and digital still photos.
XBR-X850D Series (55″, 65″, 75″ and 85″ Class models)
Available in early 2016
While speaking about the new TV’s, Philip Jones, Product Technology Manager for Sony Home Entertainment TV team confirmed the TVs would be running Marshmallow and also advised that 2015 model Sony Android TV’s would also be getting an update to the latest version of Android TV as well. You can see the complete interview about the new TV’s as well as fast forward to the 4m mark to see the discussion on Marshmallow for both new and old Sony Android TV’s below
Sony Australia has not yet advised any dates or pricing for release of the new Sony Android TV models here, but we will definitely be interested in checking them out when they arrive.