Motorolas low-cost current generation handset, the Moto E 2015 is starting to receive its Marshmallow update in Australia.
After a bit of a kerfuffle over whether the handset would receive the update, Motorola confirmed (eventually) that the handset would see an update to Android 6.0 and it’s starting to arrive. Ausdroid reader David received his update to Android 6.0 and sent us in the screenshot of the settings page which gives the details, that show the update includes the February 2016 security updates:
The update includes all the Android 6.0 goodies you’d expect to see, with Motorola acknowledging the duplication of some of their custom functions in Marshmallow and removing them in favour of Google’s in-built systems. Additional features you can expect in the Moto E Gen 2 Marshmallow update include:
- Doze Mode – This new feature monitors your phone and puts it into a deep sleep when it’s not being used, which can extend battery life substantially.
- Now on Tap – We love Google Now, and it’s improved in Android M. Simply long press the home button to bring up the Google Now feature and display information based on whatever you’re doing at the time.
- Android Pay – Android M allows you to bring up Android Pay with a simple tap and easily make purchases without having to open a separate app – well…when it arrives here anyway 😉
- Direct Share – Share your photos, news, links, etc. with your favourite contacts easily and quickly.
- Simpler volume controls – A more intuitive way to control ringtone and media volume.
The Moto E Gen 2 with LTE is a pretty decent handset we found in our review, and with the pricing now regularly dropping under $200 if you shop around. Motorola, despite the rocky start with the Marshmallow update for the Moto E did promise that they would continue to look after the handset with security updates going forward – so a sub-$200 4G handset with update? That’s a good deal to us.
The Moto E Gen 2 isn’t alone in receiving the Marshmallow update in Australia, Motorola have confirmed the Moto E Gen 2 update is rolling out and also advised that Marshmallow is available for the Moto X Style, Moto X Play, Moto X, as well as the Moto G 2nd and 3rd Gen. Make sure you check your handsets settings to find out if your Marshmallow update is available.