Alongside their new fitness-tracking headphones Samsung announced a refresh to their Gear Fit line, the Gear Fit2, and by the looks of it, it’s a fairly significant upgrade. The Gear Fit2 is half fitness tracker half smartwatch. It’s hard to find any aspect of the Fit2 that isn’t a significant upgrade over the original.
The Gear Fit 2 features:
- 1.5″ curved AMOLED display @ 216 x 432
- Tizen OS
- 512GM Ram
- 4GB internal memory
- 200mAh battery
- GPS, Barometer, Heart rate Monitor, Accelerometer and a Gyroscope
- Compatibility with ALL android 4.4 and above devices wit ha minim of 1.5 GB RAM
- Black, Blue and pink bands
- IP68 weather intrusion protection
- Two band sizes: Small 125 – 170 mm and Large 155 – 210 mm
- 24.5 x 51.2 mm
- 28 grams
That’s a lot of watch in a little package. Samsung has packed a lot of functionality into this little guy including:
- Notification support (SMS, Calls, E-Mail, apps and calendar)
- Stand alone Music player (with local file support)
- Fitness tracking
- Heart rate monitoring
- distance traveled
- Route traveled (via GPS)
- Calories burned
- Automatic activity detection for 15 activities (including Exercise bike, Step machine, Treadmill, Pilates, Yoga, Lunges, Crunches, Squats and more)
While not a fully featured Smartwatch the Gear Fit2 is also more than just your average fitness tracker. If you’re serious about your fitness then the Gear Fit2 may be something you’ll want to look at when it becomes available. With Samsung opening compatibility up to all post-Android 4.4 phones with at least 1.5GB of RAM non-Samsung phone users will no longer be excluded.
We’ve been in contact with Samsung Australia re local pricing and availability, at present all they were able to share was “Samsung Gear Fit2 will be launching in Australia very soon. Pricing and availability will be shared closer to the local launch dates”. We will stay in contact and will let you know all the details when they become available.
Are you interested in getting a Ger Fit2 onto your wrist? Let us know below.