Not every phone gets a full blown launch party, or even a mention when they launch in Australia but the Galaxy J3 has indeed launched and is now available for purchase in Australian retailers for $329.
At this price you’re not going to be blown away with specs, but it’s a decent looking handset with support for a wide variety of bands and comes with a fairly decent 8MP camera. It’s running Android 5.1.1 with Touchwiz over the top so it’s not terrible, but as usual don’t hold you breath for any software updates.
- 5.0″ HD (1280×720) resolution Super AMOLED display
- 1.2GHz Quad-Core processor
- 1.5GB RAM
- 8GB on-board storage with microSD card slot
- 8MP rear camera with f/2.2 aperture with LED Flash
- 5MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 2G GSM, 3G WCDMA, 4G LTE FDD, 4G LTE TDD
- 2G GSM: GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
- 3G UMTS: B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850), B8(900)
- FDD: B1(2100), B3(1800), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B28(700)
- TDD: B40(2300)
- Bluetooth 4.1, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz, NFC, GPS, Glonass, Beidou
- Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
- 2600mAh battery
- 142.3 x 71.0 x 7.9mm @ 138grams
The phone is now available in-store at Big W or online and in-store from The Good Guys or Bing Lee, or online from Samsung themselves for $329. The only bonus for buying from Samsung is the option to purchase in Gold, whereas other retailers seem to have White/Black only.
If you’re in the market for a new phone this is another option in what’s fast becoming a fairly saturated market here – still, it’s nice to have choice.