Android N
Despite heavy teasing of Nutella as the name for the upcoming version of Android N by Hiroshi Lockheimer, head of Android, Chrome and Chromecast at Google. Google has today revealed that Android N will be Android Nougat going forward.

The announcement has been followed up with the traditional reveal of the Android statue with the desert at the Googleplex in Mountain View. The statue is, as usual, created by the team at Themendous who created the other statues in the Android dessert garden at Google HQ.

Android Nougat, expected to be version 7.0 of the Android OS, will be arriving later this year with whats rumoured to be two Nexus devices, codenamed Marlin and Sailfish. According to the Android N developer preview overview, we’ll see one more developer preview before the final release of Nougat sometime in ‘the Fall’.

So. It’s Android Nougat. What do you think? Love it? Hate it? Ambivalent?

Source: @android.
    Greg
    Greg

I’ll ruin the name for all of you. They’re American. They think it’s said ‘Noogett’ instead of ‘Nooogaah’. Now every time you read it you’ll hear it said in that voice.

That’s my vengeance since this is the first version since 2.3 that won’t make it to my devices. Nexus 5 and 7 forever!

Kenny
    Kenny

I like nougat. Both the soft and chewy kind as well as the hard and crunchy type. Yum!

Duncan_J
    Duncan_J

well I’m nutty for Nougat!

Daniel Tyson
    Reply to  Duncan_J

Fred
    Fred
    Reply to  Duncan_J

Not a Nice Name.

Nougat is one of those chocolates that always end up left at the bottom of the box after everyone has eaten the better ones.

Thing I only realised today – Google have a thing for alphabet based naming/structuring. First it was the Android codenames, and now the whole ‘Alphabet’ meta company.

Jamie S
    Jamie S

It’s a bit boring, is that really the best they could come up with. I think Nutella would have sounded much better.

Daniel Tyson
    Reply to  Jamie S

It would, but the Ferrero company who own Nutella has some dubious business practices similar to Nestle and that collaboration caused a lot of furore. I don’t think you’ll see another branded version of Android again.

Jamie S
    Jamie S
    Reply to  Daniel Tyson

Ah okay, I guess we’ll get used to it but it definitely not my favourite.