In the last week we have seen sales of the Samsung Note7 be suspended worldwide due to numerous reported cases of the devices exploding and catching fire while charging. In some countries the Note7 has been recalled but here in Australia we are yet to see anything lodged with the Australian product safety recalls website. At this stage, Samsung are offering a refund or replacement for the Note7.
This may change now that today Australia had it’s first Note7 explode. Whirlpooler Crushader reported today that his Note7 was charging overnight, on the bed, beside where they were sleeping in a hotel room. It not just exploded but it charred the bed sheet and the carpet when thrown on the floor (burnt a finger in the process too). It appears from what we read that the official charger was being used, but this should serve as a warning out there to be very careful when charging you Note 7. Either don’t do it or do it while you are awake.
To Samsung’s credit, they immediately opened a case and arranged for him to pick up a loan device from their Perth Samsung store (he was over there from Melbourne on business). Samsung have also confirmed that they will cover the cost of damages to his hotel room.
We have reached out to Samsung for a comment and will update this post once we hear from them. After this, I doubt it will be long before we see it arrive on the product recall website. We recommend against people using and charging their Note7 until they can be fixed or replaced.
Do you have a Note 7? What are you planning on doing — returning it for a refund or exchanging it?