If you’re reading this, chances are you like to live on the cutting edge and get the latest and greatest features for your Android, or Google device. Today Google has launched a new preview program for Chromecast to let you try out new features.
The preview program lets you check out what’s coming to Chromecast, and it’s specifically Chromecast with Google listing the Chromecast (1st gen), Chromecast, and Chromecast Audio as eligible to join the program. Additionally there’s no mention of the more broad ‘Google Cast’ spec that includes cast enabled devices from third party manufacturers. They may get to those devices down the track, but for now Google is simply talking Chromecast.
So, what is the preview program? In Google’s words:
The preview channel, if you’re lucky enough to be able to join will be updated ‘shortly before the full push of our production firmwares’, so from the sounds of it, it’s beta, but a fairly well tested one just prior to launch.
Ok, all this sounds good? How do you join? Google’s support page has these instructions. Obviously you’ll need the Google Cast app installed from Google Play, but it’s pretty easy:
- From your Android or iOS device, open the Google Cast app Chromecast cast icon.
- Tap the DEVICES tab to see your available Chromecast devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the Chromecast you’d like to enroll in the Preview Program.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu .
- Tap Device Settings.
- Tap Preview Program. If you don’t see Preview Program, we aren’t accepting new members at this time. Please continue to check back as opportunities become available.
- Choose whether to receive email notifications by moving the slider to the right or left. Note: We recommend allowing email notifications so you’ll know when new updates are pushed to your Chromecast device.
- If you opt-in to email notifications, you’ll be asked to sign into your Google account if you haven’t already.
- Review the contents of that page, and tap Join Program.
- Review the contents of the page, then tap OK, GOT IT.
You’re free to leave the program at any stage by following the same steps above but choosing ‘Leave the program’ when you’re ready.
If this sounds like it’s right up your alley, open your Google Cast app and check to see if you can join the program now.