If you’re an adopter of Google’s Android TV platform with a Nexus Player, Shield TV or a Sony Bravia TV then there’s some good news: Channel 7 has an Android TV app.
The app lets you watch content from across their main channel, the 7mate, 7TWO digital channels as well as ‘ content partners’. The Android TV app is available to install on both the Nexus Player and the Nvidia Shield TV console for those who imported one of those.
The app appears to be pretty full featured according to the Google Play description:
• You can pause, fast forward and rewind programs
• Search and browse episodes by show name, just added, most viewed and expiring soon
• Includes complete season boxsets and kids programming to keep you entertained
• Watch previews of new shows
• Get recommended content based on what you’re watching
• Use voice-activated search to find your favourite shows
The state of Android TV in Australia isn’t a raging success story for the most part, except for streaming services Presto and Netflix, the platform has been ignored for the most part. Freeview apps are available on Sony’s Android TV platform (except for Channel 9) making up some shortfall, but Android TV apps have been few and far between, this is a good win for Channel 7.
There has been some moves on Whirlpool to ‘AndroidTV-ify’ the ABC IView and SBS OnDemand apps, and if you want you can get some of that action there. So far unfortunately, beyond Beta Chromecast support in IView, there’s no official moves in that direction though.
But this is about Channel 7 and even if it took a year and a half to do, it’s here and you can now catch up on all your favourite shows on the big screen.