BlackBerry has officially announced the DTEK60, the second device in the DTEK series of Android smartphones and provides users, businesses and organisations with full access to the Android ecosystem. The DTEK60 comes with all the security features that BlackBerry’s Android OS devices have, including best-in-class security patching and the DTEK by BlackBerry app, which basically helps provide real time information regarding their privacy whilst surfing right from their phone.
DTEK60 is also part of BlackBerry’s transition towards a device software licensing strategy to focus more on providing the best and most secure software while the hardware is produced by a third party manufacturer. In the case of the DTEK60, this is TCL or as its main brand is known as, Alcatel.
Ralph Pini, Chief Operating Officer and General Manager of Mobility Solutions at BlackBerry said:
With the DTEK60, BlackBerry continues to focus on our strengths: state-of-the-art software and security solutions. When you see our logo it means security, from our class-leading enterprise software to devices secured by BlackBerry software.
So here is what we know the DTEK60 has under its hood spec wise:
- 5.5″ IPS LCD Display (1440 x 2560)
- Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820
- Quad-core (2×2.15 GHz Kryo & 2×1.6 GHz Kryo)
- Adreno 530
- 4GB RAM
- 32GB Memory onboard – expandable to 256GB via microSD Card
- 21MP Rear Camera, 8MP front facing – good for those office selfies!
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth v4.2, A-GPS
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Network connectivity for North America and Latin America:
- 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G: 2100/1900/1700/850/900 MHz
- 4G: 2100/1900/1800/1700/850/2600/700/700/800/700/2300 MHz
- Network connectivity for Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific:
- 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G: 2100/1900/850/900 MHz
- 4G: FD-LTE: 2100/1900/1800/2600/900/800/700 MHz
- TD-LTE: 2600/2300/2500 MHz
- Dimensions: 153.9 x 75.4 x 7 mm @ 165g
Starting today, DTEK60 is available to buy from ShopBlackBerry.com in the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and The Netherlands for USD$499 (approximately AUD$652.76). BlackBerry have stated that the DTEK60 will be coming to other regions and countries with an announcements in the coming weeks confirming hopefully a timetable for when the DTEK60 will be coming to Australia.
If you can’t wait and decide to purchase a DTEK60 from ShopBlackBerry.com, you will receive a complimentary accessory bundle depending on which region you purchased the DTEK60. For example, US and Canada customers will receive a DTEK60 Soft Shell and Rapid Charger for free and customers in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and The Netherlands will receive a DTEK60 Pocket Case and Rapid Charger for free. This offer expires on November 8th at 11:59 pm PST.
What do you think of the latest and newest member of the BlackBerry DTEK family? Would you consider buying one? Let us know in the comments below.