Telstra has announced new apps and accompanying deals for the upcoming 2017 sporting season for NRL, AFL & Netball, which are all included for Telstra plan users (post-paid mobile). However, if you’re not a Telstra post-paid mobile customer, you’re going to pay quite a bit per month to access these services.
The new service, which we came across during tonight’s Channel 9 news, will allow Telstra mobile customers to live stream every NRL, AFL and Netball game without using any of their included data allowance.
Non-Telstra customers can access the services too, but there’s (fairly obviously) a cost involved; NRL and Netball will cost $12.99 per month, and AFL will be $14.99 per month. The other consideration is that these services will count against data usage on other networks, so your mileage may vary.
Here is a list of the apps and what they will offer:
AFL Live app (iOS & Android):
- Integration of Women’s AFL content and ability to watch live stream of women’s matches.
- New personalisation allowing fans to get targeted news and updates that speaks directly to them.
- New Matches section allowing fans to view fixtures, live scores, results and filter by round, team and venue.
- Ability to watch live stream full screen on mobile, in situ or pop-out player (which allows fans to watch in minimised player as they browse the app.
- Enhanced player profiles with additional graphs and career stats, player related videos and articles.
AFL Club apps (iOS & Android):
- 18 new club apps
- Each club app has been built to provide the ability for clubs to tailor their approach to engaging their fans and members via their own mobile apps.
- The apps leverage worlds’ best practice garnered from teams in leagues such as the NFL and NBA and provide fans with access to membership and ticketing, club branded digital keepsakes, behind the scenes content and commercial partner activations.
NRL Official Live app (iOS & Android):
- Integration of Bunker decisions for each match in match centre allowing fans to understand the rationale of each decision during and after the game
- More intelligent viewing with the draw, player stats and related article widgets to integrate into news articles.
- Fans also have the option to download one or more of the 16 club apps on iOS or Android to keep up with all the latest from their favourite teams.
Netball Live app (iOS & Android):
- Every match, every round, live through the Netball Live app
- Customised content feeds per team
- User controlled push notifications for match scores
- Telstra Thanks integration
Also, if you have a Telstra TV/Roku Device, there will also be New Telstra TV Netball app that will become available, although it is unsure if this will be done through an update, but the app is said to bring with it the following features:
New Telstra TV Netball app:
- 2 live matches each round broadcast in HD exclusive to the Telstra TV on a big screen
- Interactive view displaying match statistics during the live matches
- Customised ‘hide scores’ feature so that you won’t receive spoilers if you’ve missed a live game.
- All match replays in HD, highlights and news
- League leading stats, fixture details and ladders
Telstra advises that the apps are available to download now, so if you’re a Telstra customer, give it a try, and if you aren’t, you can try it too if you’re prepared to pay a little for access to the streaming services.
Do note, though, that if you have a rooted handset, you won’t be able to access the new Telstra services, with the apps popping up an error message saying “Your device appears to be rooted. This application cannot run on rooted devices”: