The upcoming July 25th launch event for Motorola in New York City will feature the Moto Z2 Force as the star of the show, confirmed Venture Beat overnight after receiving leaked marketing materials.
The leaked information is courtesy of everyone’s favourite leaker Evan Blass (@evleaks), who has listed out the specs for the phone. Evan says that the phone will again feature a 5.5″ Plastic OLED (POLED) QHD (2560×1440) resolution shatterproof display, allowing the Z2 to maintain the form factor that allows the phone to use the Moto Mods that have been, so far at least, the most widely accepted standard for modularised components on a phone.
The phone will definitely get a step up when it comes to processor, with the Snapdragon 835 being included as well as either 6GB or 4GB of RAM. Evan says that the 4GB model will be for the US, while the rest of the world (fingers crossed for Australia) will see the 6GB model. Internal storage will be 64GB, though a 128GB model will hit Asian markets, both will include a microSD card slot that support up to 2TB cards.
As expected Motorola has shaved the battery life of the phone, with the battery reduced from 3,500mAh in the original to just 2,730mAh in the Moto Z2 Force. This ‘saving’ comes with the phone a full millimeter thinner than the original – feel the sarcasm drip on this one.
Evan has shown the phone of previously in black, but says a ‘Fine Gold’ and ‘Lunar Gray’ model will be made available as well. Motorola will also be sticking with their ‘water-repellent nano-coating’ instead of going full IP65/68 water/dust resistance but is rumoured to finally release this ingress protection level on the Moto X4, which may make an appearance at the July 25th event as well.
Moto Z2 Force for AT&T pic.twitter.com/N0h001Xema
— Evan Blass (@evleaks) July 4, 2017
Motorola will reportedly launch the phone with Android 7.1.1, but are preparing to update the handset to Android O as soon as it is made available.
We’ll be tuning in to see what Motorola has to offer on July 25th.