With a final launch of Android O possibly only a week away, speculation on what devices will be updated to Android 8.0 is starting. The ‘standard’ for Google devices is 2 years ‘desserts’ and 3 years security, and most manufacturers, including Sony have been following this – at least for their higher end phones. So, which phones will get the update?
The list of phones slated to receive the Android O update comes from Japanese site Gazyekichi, so it’s far from official. The list does contain devices which have been released in that 2-year window, so it’s fairly likely that it’s legit. The list includes:
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium (G 8141, G 8142)
- Sony Xperia XZS (G 8231, G 8232)
- Sony Xperia XA 1 (G 3121, G 3123, G 3125, G 3116, G 3123)
- Sony Xperia L1 (G3311, G3312, G3313)
- Sony Xperia X Compact
- Sony Xperia XZ (F 8331, F 8332)
- Sony Xperia X Performance
- Sony Xperia X (F 5121, F 5122)
- Sony Xperia XA 1 Ultra (G 3221, G 3212, G 3223, G 3226)
The Xperia Z series appears to be well and truly falling by the wayside with this update, so take from that what you will. Once Android O officially drops, most manufacturers are fairly quick to announce which devices will get the update so stay tuned for something more official shortly.